what age nub. bucklings mature?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Sep 2, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

thought i was seeing some progress on my 9 mo. buckling but i think it was only wishful thinking. someone mentioned that nub.'s mature later, am i just crazy thinking he should be getting busy by now??

i think i am about to toss him in the freezer! if i do, i think i'll try just going boer, and use all the babies for meat this next year. i really don't need any more dairy girls now anyhow, so maybe a freezer of meat would be best. i have access to one, but i really did want to breed this nub.! when i bought him i had no intentions of using him to breed my ladies but after i got to looking at his mother, etc., was happy i had him, but now, not so much!

i am trying to be patient, but just how long should i wait? i don't want to wait much more for 2 of the ladies, i want to stagger the breedings. what is the latest any of you would wait to see if this fella is worth it?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have never had a Feb or March buckling who didn't breed does by November, usually I was able to hand breed to at last some of the older girls in October, but always does his age by November.

Now, I do not keep my bucklings in with the older does for him to get beat up on. I do pen breed him to does his own age, which are usually smaller than bucklings the same age.

If you aren't interested in keeping any of his daughters why use him? You will get more meat with boer if that is your goal this breeding season. vicki

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Chris, we have went through this exact thing with you several times. You need to be patient. :)

IT IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF SEPTEMBER!

It doesn't sound like you think this buckling is worth much anyhow, since you are already considering putting him in the freezer and you say you don't want to keep daughters.

Either relax and wait for him to breed your does or put him in the freezer and breed them boer.

JMO,
    Sara

4. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Chris, I cannot remember just how new to goats you are but since you are fairly "north", iIf you haven't been through a kidding season yet you might want to remember just how bad the weather can be up here in early February. When we first started in goats we had some that kidded in Jan and early Feb and literally had only minutes to get the kids covered and to the house with temps well below zero - it was a good thing that we were able to attend the births. I've heard that we are supposed to have a very, very cold winter this year. As much as we hate to admit it, sometimes the goats and mother nature really do know what they are doing.

Trisha

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

My thoughts exactly.

Sara

6. chewie

chewie New Member

i may have been misleading--i would like his daughters, (for selling only, i dont' need any to keep)but if i cannot breed for decent milkers, i'll go boer and put them all in the freezer. i do not have time or money to get another milking buck, i can borrow a friends good boer. i do think this guy'd add to what i'm breeding for, just thought by now he'd be really getting busy.

he's only in with 2 does, not the main ones i want to breed. i lead him out to visit them for a couple minutes a day, sometimes twice, to see if anything is going to happen. he's a real pig for the hay or whatever the milkers are having at the moment, and barely looks at them. i am hanging onto the ladies since they are older/bigger and i do not want them banging him around.

i am confused at why then did one of mine kid last year, first of december? if the normal heat times are yet to come, how did she kid so early? and the senerio of that sub zero kidding does make me think that maybe i shouldn't be too hasty! that does NOT sound like a good time. i think we'll have a bitter winter too, and i am new to this, i certainly don't need any troubles!!

thanks much vicki, that was *exactly* the info i was looking for.

sorry, i am just new at this and just couldn't find info in any of the books i have. i don't want to mess this up, but i wont' ask again!

7. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Sounds like me! I am impatient!! Just need everyone here to remind that some of the best things take time. I wish I could convince my DH of that!

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Every year is different when it comes to does cycling too. I can have mine on exactly the same routine for Bo-Se, in exactly the same place and every year is different. This year is late for me and many of my local friends. Last year I had does breeding in mid-july, this year I had no one breeding till late August.
    Also, her care etc is different with you than with her previous owner. Everything makes a difference. Also......your young immature buck probably isn't smelly enough to hurry them into heat cycles. :lol

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Our regular heats are July to Feb....sometimes June through March. But a young buck has to get it all together himself to be able to breed anything other than kids his own age.

Can you post a photo of him, one to the side and one from behind? There are duds of course.

We didn't mean it isn't normal for does to kid in Demeber, but more than likely they weren't bred to a young buck. And you have to have a pretty special barn in the cold to kid out in December don't you? I couldn't even imagine going out in December to kid out, let alone the does :) Vicki

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

One thing I've learned about Nubian bucklings is that they can be sneaky about breeding the does. I remember the second year I was in goats, I had two does kid in February, having been bred by a 6 month old buckling I didn't think was interested in the girls. If you do want winter kids, I've noticed the Boer cross to be hardier in the cold if left on the dams. It is still necessary go attend the births and get the kids dried off right away. I've had winter kids, but usually plan my kidding to begin in March. Kathie

11. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I turned a February Nubian buck of mine loose in with a few does that are already bred just to see how they where going to get along (they have been penned next to each other for a few months) and he ran across the pen to one of the does and tried to mount her. I put him back in his pen before they hurt him, but I think he is very ready. Good luck to you, your buck should do fine when your girls go into season.

12. chewie

chewie New Member

i will try to post photos of my boy, might take a bit....and i admit to feeling very insecure, you guys have so much nicer boys! but its what i have for now.

thanks so much for the info., it just seems so bad when i hear others in my area talking about their does getting bred, or at least how smelly their boy is, and mine do nothing!

the breeder of my boy, 'jolly', did tell me that to date, they've never had one that just didnt' work. so the waiting game continues....*sigh*.

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Don't feel too bad....my youngsters aren't acting bucky yet either, and I know for a fact some of my does have been in heat.

14. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I have a mid-May buckling that I'm hoping to breed to my late-February doelings this year... don't know if he'll be ready for it by then... we shall see!

15. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Can you take him over to see your friends buck in action? That ought to get him excited.

Christy

16. chewie

chewie New Member

i'm not sure about taking him, she is a distance away and if i go, i'd have to use the pickup.

but, tada! today my boy for certain has peed himself! yes! never thought i'd ever cheer for an animal whizzing on himself and making a stink! he really has no smell yet, but today i was certain there was no chance it was simply laying in something, his chest and front legs are covered! he still acts like a sweet little guy, tho. maybe he heard me saying 'freezer'!!

17. chewie

chewie New Member

i took jolly to see the doe i esp want bred asap--she stands for his serious investigation of her tail, he flips up his lip, makes a funny sounds and sticks out his tongue, but she wont' allow him to mount, then he was nipping and striking with his front feet. i am holding them at this point since she is huge and he is so young. would it be better to put them in a pen over night, or in a pen together away from the others? or keep taking him to her, by hand, until i get her to breed?

and sara, oh ok, you were so right--have patience! ugh! he is starting to really reek, and is soaked. this is great and icky all at the same time!

18. shawhee

shawhee Member

I am interested in this answer as well. I have had the same thing with two of my does. Everything is all lovey dovey until he moves to the back to mount and they whirl around and have a fit. Now I think they are both out of heat, so maybe I caught them too late? I am counting 18-21 days and will try again. My other two does are not even interested so dont feel bad Chris.

Shawna

19. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

When my does have been ready, they rub their heads on the buck and act all sweet to him, and then let him mount. Whey they get tired of him, they turn around and butt him, but none have ever bullied him, even though last year they were bigger than he was. This year, he IS the man, in size, stinkiness and all. Wow, I can't imagine being excited about that smell!!! I'm wishing it would go away! We were going to work on his pasture today, so he' s not constantly underfoot, rubbing on us, but Hannah has hit with rain and high winds, so that will have to wait for tomorrow. Getting him and his buddy out in that pasture will be SUCH a relief.
    Anita