Wethering question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jaytori220, Jul 30, 2008.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

I bought 2 4 month old kids a week and a half ago and 1 was wethered and one was banded when I picked him up. Is it normal for the "jewels" to smell like something has died down there? I noticed it for the past couple days and didnt realize what it was til today. Should I put something on him, spray etc? It just smells bad..... :sigh

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Re: Very stupid wethering question

What does it look like? Usually you can tell pretty easily if it's infected, will be swollen, red, discharge, etc. Occasionally we had calves that would get infected, we just washed the area with chlorhexidine or warm soapy water and let it go, never had one get really sick from it.

3. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

It looks fine. Its shriveling up. Not red or swollen. It doesnt look infected. Just smells bad. You can only really smell it when you are close to him. There are no flies around him or anything.

4. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Sounds normal to me, but I am basing it off of the 2 calves we banded last year.

5. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Someone on another site mentioned that it sounded infected and it shouldnt smell. But look for discharge, etc....I didnt see any. But I am going to look at it better. Should I put some iodine on it?

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I would be tempted to just leave it if it looks fine. There is decaying tissue there, it's going to smell somewhat.

7. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

We never did anything with out calves, just put the band on and I checked it in a month to see if everything was gone. But we only did 2 and one of the 2 sold before I could check (well they sold together, but were a month apart)

8. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

We have banded numerous wethers. A few have had this. As long as it don't look infected, I wouldn't worry. It will fall off and leave a small sore that will heal up and go away.

Tara

9. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Tara,
    How long did it take to fall off? I am wondering if calves and kids are anything alike? Our calves took about a month, but I never saw a sore, so maybe it took less and by the time I noticed the sore was gone!

Sarah

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

They seem to take forever, one of the reasons I hate banding. The bunch we did early summer still has them hanging. I would say anywhere from 4-8 weeks. I would say calves and kids are pretty much the same.

11. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I was told you leave the band on for three weeks then cut off the hanging part? Lady I visited in Bryan said this was how she handled all her Boers.

Anyone else do this?

12. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I have never heard that. Very interested to hear what others have to say...Also wonder if knife castrating kids is like bull calves, slice open lower portion then pretty much reach in and pull out each testicle severing the cord with a knife.

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

When I did the "surgical method" of castrating kids, I would cut off the lower 1/3 of the scrotum, pull each testicle out and stretch until the cord breaks. I was told that cutting the cord causes more bleeding. I never had any trouble with doing that, I thought it was less traumatic on the kids. I have also sliced off the dead portion after banding, doesn't make a whole lot of difference. As long as you cut below the band that tissue is dead anyway, they shouldn't bleed or feel it.

14. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I did surgical castration of calves in college and we stretched, we recently had a 2yr old Longhorn done and the vet severed...he bled like crazy! So I can do the goat kids the same way we did bull calves in college (the technique you mention above)I have heard banding causes them much more discomfort than bull calves. The bull calves acted like nothing had been done, I hear bucklings sit, lie down, scream, holler, act as those something has them by the well you know!

15. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

I just went out and checked it. It looks fine. No discharge, no swelling. Just cold shrivled up jewels...and smell.

16. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Seems to depend, I've had calves act goofy afterwards and kids that paid no mind.

As far as the 2 yr old longhorn...it's got more to do with age I think in this case. An animal of that age would need to be tied off first to stop blood flow. You wouldn't want to cut a 2 yr old buck either. I don't think you'd be able to stretch/break the cord.

It should be done in the first 2 weeks ideally.

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You should have some fural in your medicine kit for you goats, that and chlorhexideen should be about all the spray goop stuff you need :) I would hit it with fural. But yes we also simply cut it all off and sprayed with fural when there was no heat left in the scrotum. I don't make wethers anymore. Vicki