Weirdest kidding ever

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tracy in Idaho, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I had the weirdest kidding last night....

A FF went into labor -- everything was progressing just fine, pushing good. I took a feel inside, found the first kid was breech with the legs tucked under, so I pulled them out. I noticed then that they sure felt tiny.

Anyhow, out it squirts, and yep, dead. Very small kid that wasn't quite done yet.....now I go looking.
    Find the second one and get it out -- same thing. They look to be about 2-3 weeks too early.

Back I go and find another kid -- wait, this one feels MUCH larger, and is pulling away from me! Out she comes, a perfectly normal full-term doeling????

I go back and there is a FOURTH big kid in there. I figure out it's bent in half, and I have a back foot and a front one, and the head is stuck somewhere on the far side bent around. :? Finally got that figured out and it's a full sized buckling, but dead.

So here we have QUADS out of a FF...... and 2 are obviously from a later cycle???? I've read that is possible, but I certainly never had it happen?!!!

Thoughts? Possible?

Tracy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh my gosh I have read that also but never seen it. Yeh for the doeling you did save.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Yep , that is a weird one. I've got one due in may this year, because I let her skip 2 cycles before being re-tried in the buck pen last Fall.
    Glad you saved one of them......is momma OK ?

Whim

4. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

So there were two dates for her?
    Very strange. I've not seen the like myself.

5. Harmony Goats

Harmony Goats New Member

I think I have heard of it before but I have never seen it. The only weird kidding that I have had was a 3/4 lm kidded at 150 days and her kids were tiny about 3 pounds or less. One kid had lived the other was a still born. They were out of a purebred lamancha. The next year the doe had 2 kids that were about 6 pounds maybe a little more.

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:wowQuads! Out of a FF? Glad you could save a doeling. That is a strange kidding. How's the dam?

-Kim

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:crazy Only you, Tracy....

Just out of curiosity...was she only bred once?
    Kaye

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Did she have two documented breeding dates??

Your right, thats weird!!

9. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Kaye, my only goal as a breeder is to make weird stuff happen to baffle you! :rofl

She was in a group of doelings that were pen bred to the baby buckling. I had her due date as the 10th, but yes, she certainly *could* have been bred again and I missed it. The possibility is there.

The dam is doing just fine, though I do wish she'd quit with the yelling every time I come to the barn :really

The doeling is a bit dumb -- she got tubed last night and this morning because frankly, I didn't have the time (or patience) to screw around with her. She has enough colostrum now, so if she wants her milk an ounce at a time for the next day or so, fine. She is snuggled up with Dedza's triplets, and seems to be doing great.

Oh yeah-- Dedza had AI triplets yesterday too! No problems with her -- 2 bucks and a doe -- bucks are for sale :D Pretty, pretty kids.

Tracy

10. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

This happened to me last year, only it was not a first freshener... third freshener that does short cycle regularly... I had two or three breeding dates for this doe, she was handbred too... She went into labor normally and out she pops a normal size doe (Nigie) a doe baby very healthy and very alive... but my doe is acting funny so I go in and check and I feel something very tiny in her and pull it out.. It is a very very tiny buck kid, that weighed maybe 10 ounces, no teeth.. very early... but alive.. I tubed him that day and continued for two days, he never got up and walked etc.. I put him down three days after he was born... It was clear that he was born too soon, and I did not want him to suffer.He was a premie.. I still have the doeling born out of the same kidding... I sure hope that it does not happen this year.. the same doe was bred a few times, she is due to kid next week..
    Barbara

11. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We had this last year. An obviously full term 7 lb buckling...and an exact miniature replica, 3lb, no teeth, premature buckling. Note it isnt just that they are smaller, they are also demonstrably less developed.

12. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Wierd...and quads out of a FF Alpine! I can barely get twins out of my FF's.

13. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

It could be that they died a few weeks earlier, but the doe somehow retains her pregnancy for the live delivery of the now full term kids. I had a boer doe that was due to kid the first part of December who kidded on time, but it was obvious that the kid had died a few weeks earlier as it was still under developed, but she held it until her regular due date.

14. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Actually that would have been my second set of quads for the year. Ah well :(

Chris, I would think they would have been much more decomposed (they weren't at ALL) if they had died weeks ago.?

Tracy

15. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

This doe that I had that did this, her kid had no hair, no teeth, was a little squishy/sloshy in the belly area.

16. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I would also expect decomposition...the only experience I've had with this was in a dog, we figured the puppy died 2-3 days prior and it was soft and black and stinky, nasty discharge. That was full term though...

17. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Very interesting :sigh

18. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've had pen bred FF's kid with different sized twins and I wondered if the small one was conceived a week later. I've seen what you described when I worked at the goat dairy, where there would be one or two full term kids and one stillborn preemie. One of my friends has a strange kidding last year. She hand bred her doe to my buck on one date. The doe freshened with quads. The three bucklings were normal sized. The doeling weighed less than 2 pounds and looked preemie, but I know she wasn't because they don't have a buck and she was able to nurse. I raised her and it turns out she has birth defects. She was supposed to have gone into the freezer by now, but the person who was supposed to do it for me has been having family problems. She's now over 9 months old and very small, but doesn't seem to be suffering. I now wonder if at least some of those small kids were defective rather than preemie. Kathie

19. Corky

Corky New Member

I had a doe deliver a big healthy buck last year and then three days later two slurry kids. Don't know if it was from the same breeding or not. I think so but I don't remember.

Now I am worried about my little tramp FF that was bred to kid an April but still comes in heat every month and got in with the buck Feb. 10th. She was in raging heat,
    Now she is uddering up so I guess the original due date is correct.
    Sure hope ther are no premie kids with this one.