Weird milky lumps in teats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I have 3 FF does closely related that kidded in march.

They share nursing kids as these does grew up together as bottle-babies and kidded the same time. So they nurse each others kids. So germ swap.

All three of these does got lumps in their teats within a week of freshening. These lumps started out as hard and olive like. As time goes by, they have softened and seem benign. However, the whole course of this problem, these lumps have communicated with the outside of the teats by leaking what appears to be sticky white milk on the outside of the teat when i milk or apply pressure with examination. When i milk, my hands get somewhat sticky from the exudate.

For treatment, i have simply been very clean at milking, cleansing area with soap/bleach water prior to milking and then dipping teats very very well in bleach water after milking.

The lumps are slowly resolving. But still some leaking to the outside world with milking. This does NOT seem infectious at all. Seems more of a pressure problems in small glands or something. Does otherwise fine.

Thanks for any help. These are does i cannot sell until all this is resolved. They could be very nice does if this was taken care of.

2. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I think there was a topic about similar lumps on teats a few weeks back. I think someone said it was due to the finer skin, allowing the milk to leak through the side of the teat?

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Are this lumps on the outside of the teats? and yes there was a thread even with pictures but I can't find it right now. My LaMancha has these lumps but usually don't leak. If this is what I think it is it doesn't change and doesn't go away. wondering if Prep H might help tho. like toughing up the skin at least

4. Feral Nature

Well, I was afraid it may be a cull-worthy situation, too bad, these are some does I put alot into. Kelton greatly improved his daughters' udders as far as shape and teat size/length. No more micro-teats. I would hate to think these little does are in trouble now.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If the does are all related then yes this is hereditary. Obviously in the quest for better udder texture this mixture you put together went over the top. Are the kids not only his daughters but out of related dams? Vicki

6. Feral Nature

Yes Vicki.

Two of the FF doelings are twins out of Franny. The other FF doeling is out of Franny's full sister Sugar. All doelings have same sire. They are almost identical genetics. Franny and Sugar are both very light colored does with pink udders. I do not particularly like their texture, they are pink uddered with thin-skin. The three affected FF doelings: 1 pink uddered, 2 dark.

So what is the fate of these poor FF with lumps?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You put up with what you want to put up with. I have this in one of my does, but not in any others, but she also didn't start all that as a FF or I would have culled the line. Obviously it will make milking harder, and they now have all these outlets to get mastitis. Do you have other daughters out of your buck milking who do not have this? Or did he add this too fine of skin to your does? Pink skin is also something you want to cull out of your herd as you move forward, it's not a consideration up north it certainly is here, even in my boers we would not keep anything that didn't have pigment. vicki

8. Jennie

Jennie New Member

I don't know if this helps, but I had a doe with something like this last yr. She would leak up where the teat attached to the udder. It wasn't much but like you said when I milked my hands would get sticky. It looked like a pore. Since this doe will never be sold ( she earned her keep a few yrs ago) I was anxious to see what would happen this yr as a 2nd freshener. She is now almost two months fresh and no problems at all. Now, she never had the hard lumps so this may be totally different.

9. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I have two Alpines at this time with this problem,
    And one I put down she had Pseudomonas aeruginosa mastitis from getting dirt in the holes and her doe kid from last year has the same holes as her mother and has had mastitis all ready.
    I am keeping the barn very clean and milking these girls with gloves until I don't need the milk any more and then
    I am going to cull them. :sigh
    It is so hard I payed 275 for one of them an the other one has such a nice udder - the holes.
    I can not see selling kids out of these does to some one and giving them this horrible problem that I have had with this. :down
    And with the price of feed only the best goats are going to stay here so I can sell goats and know I am trying my best to sell good goats with know problems. :yes
    Fran