Weird Happening...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by FourMileFarm, Dec 30, 2008.

1. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Had my first two kids of the season born today.
    Dead.
    Premature.
    One had a broken back leg.
    BEAUTIFUL little doeling out of the bloodlines I'd been wanting to keep a doe kid from... :sniffle

This doe Scarlett may have gotten kicked by our horse on Saturday, which may have led to her going into shock, and becoming anemic Sunday - her temp went down to 95*!! :sigh Poor girl - we got her pulled through that mess, and on Monday she was recovering, then today, DEAD KIDS.

It was a total accident that the horse broke into the barn, and it's been fixed so it can't happen again. But, it was a HARD lesson.

So, now I have a first freshener who is upset and clueless about what just happened - kids were preemies, so not much of an udder there. I got one cup of colostrum. She still hasnt cleaned out - no afterbirth at all so I just gave her a shot of Lutelyse that the vet sent home for me. Hopes she cleans out soon so I can go to bed and quit worrying about her! (so much)

2. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

Oh dear, I'm so sorry this happened! :( I'm glad your doe pulled through though. I hope she cleans up soon so that you can all recuperate. Poor girl. Goodness, if she got kicked that hard she must be really sore. Hope you all get good rest tonight!

Christina

3. So sorry to hear the kids were premature. :(

4. shawhee

shawhee Member

:sniffle So sorry to hear about this. Hope all goes well and she recovers!

Shawna

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sorry for the loss but glad you save the doe. Now she may not have much if any afterbirth because of them being premies. Go ahead and milk her 3 and 4 times a day if you want the milk, she may just go ahead and come in. I did that with a doe last year and tho she didn't have as much as previous years she gave enough to continue all year.

6. Leo

Leo New Member

:sniffle Sorry that had happened. Hopefull she and the doeling will recover swiftly.
    Megan

7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Oh, how sad, I'm sorry. :(

8. Theresa

Theresa New Member

So sorry. :down I hope the doe is doing ok.
    Theresa

9. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Just curious that Lute was used to clean this doe out so soon after kidding. Would oxytocin not have worked as well?

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Lute is used to keep the cervix open to *allow* for clean out. You don't want the cervix to close and keep all that simmering in there. Oxytocin used just by itself wouldn't be as effective.
    Same reason Lute and Oxytocin is used for retained placentas.
    Kaye