Weight tape

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doulanobles, Jul 1, 2008.

1. doulanobles

doulanobles Guest

Where exactly do I measure with the tape and how accurate can i expect it to be?

My boer doeling is really big. She's 9 weeks and I can't really pick her up anymore and my nubian babies are 13 weeks, I think and smaller. I know a lot of it is the breed but i want to make sure to keep track of their growing. They're( the younguns) are getting alfalfa hay and browse. They don't eat a lot fo the hay, though. They only have about an hur in the morning and an hour in the evening to eat without my bossy older girls harrassing them.

On another note, we had some excitement here yesterday when I was walking the girls out in our pasture and looked over and saw a BEAR eyeing us from anout 100 yards away. Yikes! Goats saw it before i did and started running for the barn. I must confess, I ran right along with them!

2. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:/ I think I'd add a can of pepper spray to my daily walks! Oh, I know...it's probably illegal...but I'd be inclined to add some form of high velocity protection, or at least a Depends.( :blush I don't run for anything any more.)

I start out using a weigh tape and use the same tape all the way through until the girls get about 100#'s. I've found them to be within 5#'s of an actual scale.
    Kaye

4. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

i thought that just using it around the chest was for dairy only.. (maybe i need to go back and re-read, but I thought she said Boer and Nubian's)...

i believe... and everyone feel free to correct...( on meat goats)
    you measure the chest and measure the length
    take the chest x the chest x the length and divide by 300

and just use the tape on your nubs.

5. doulanobles

doulanobles Guest

Ok, so do you tape around the widest part of the barrel or just behind the fron legs?

6. coso

coso Guest

When I weigh I do it right behind the front legs. It is usually pretty close to scale weight if I verify.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You also do not go over the top of the withers but right behind them. Vicki

8. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Could somebody take a picture of the weight tape correctly placed?

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

There is a picture of it on your weightape isn't there? Mine has this comic goat with it pulled right under her front legs and up over the top with her withers (the pointy top of her shoulders) showing not being pulled with the tape. Vicki

10. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Hey, there sure is! I never noticed it before. Silly me.

11. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Oh crud. yes, I have a weight tape, but I can't find it, and I need it. meant to buy a new one when I went to the feed store today. Saw it right there behind the counter, but had to stand in line so long I FORGOT to get it. Is there somewhere online or on this forum that correlates a regular tape to a weight? I need to weigh for treatment. Oh darn. They are MUCH too heavy to weigh on a scale...unless I can find a sling to use the milk scale...and my scale only weighs up to 50 pounds I think, or maybe I can get my 21 year old son to pick them up and step up on the scale while I look at the weight..now, that just might work!
    Anita

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

My dd hefted a goat that turned out to weigh 80lbs....

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

14. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

15. eliya

eliya New Member

Thanks for those links! I've always wanted that for the many times that I can't find any of my THREE weight tapes. *blush*