Weighing Goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Hello All!
    I have a questions about weighing goats. I know that many of you use a weigh tape, as it's really the only practical way to weigh them after they get bigger. I have been using a tape for several years now, but have always doubted it's accuracy. I know it's not going to be 100% accurate, but sometimes it doesn't even seem close. I weigh taped one of my little doelings this morning, she is 8 months old and on the small side compared to my other doelings. She was weighing at 110 or something, which seemed really high to me. I weigh taped my biggest doe and she came out at 175 which seems high too. Any thoughts? Are tapes really this inaccurate? I am putting the tape right behind their front legs, like it shows on the tape. Is there a better place to put it? Or am I just not realizing how much goats really weigh? :shrug2
    Thanks,
    Kristin

2. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Do you place the tape over the top of the shoulders/withers or right behind them?

3. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I weigh my goats on a scale. This has been easy up to this point as they are Mini Manchas and kid LaManchas. However I plan on getting a hanging scale and making a harness enabling me to get accurate weights on each of my animals for record purposes and also medication.

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

That's a bit over the top. I don't see many goats putting up with that. ;) :rofl

A weigh tape works great if it is placed correctly. It is a very accurate way to weigh your goats. No need to strap them to a scale. :)

My Nubian and LaManchas are easily that weight at that age. :)

Sara

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

When I first got goats I was very surprised by what they weight. They just weigh a lot more than they look like, to me anyway.

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I just weighted my oldest and she weighed in at 160lbs. I was shocked and delighted. She is doing very well for being a rescue that started out at only 113 lbs. Be sad to see her go this spring but will be selling her after she freshens.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

So when would you really need to know the weight of your goat within the 5 to 10 pounds a weigh tape may be off? Never.

You can overthink some things...if you continue to overthink you will be out of goats in the 4 year period most are. The goats become problematic with mostly problems you create for yourself, or they cost so much in labor or buying the latest toy (dang go to Sidell and watch the idiotic boer goat stuff they have :) ) and sorry if someone on here owns that stuff :):) but dang!

I use a weigh tape, I have had my goats on scales at the vet before, it is not that far off, some does carry more bone than another making it off, but being dairy goats, we should not be seeing very much of that. But you always round off meds...a doe here who weighs 87 pounds gets meds and wormer for a 100 pound goat, it makes my life eaiser and it doesn't hurt the goat.

Yes when I was new I used to sling weigh all my babies..only because with triple D's and a kid in my arms I could not see the bathroom scale :) Vicki

8. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

I do the tape here.
    Deana

9. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I'm placing the tape behind the shoulders/withers. Well, I guess they do weigh that much then. Wow, my goats are way bigger than me...:)
    Thanks everyone.
    K

10. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

When I used the goat weight tape from Hoegger's, I got roughly a 20 pound discrepancy, every time, from the vet scale. I placed it accurately, too. Then I got the suggestion to try the sewing tape and the conversion chart... I know it's here somewhere... which is supposed to be more accurate--within 5 to 10 pounds. In all my good intentions, I planned on going to that method, but with time demands here I haven't got around to digging into my sewing stuff and just subtract 10 or so pounds from my Hoegger's tape (already in the barn) when dosing meds.