Weaning?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, May 28, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes... I have a buckling I am going to keep intact. He is about a month old now and is humping everyone. I'm not sure weaning him at 2 months is a good idea, but I also don't want him breeding all of the ladies around. What is the solution? Do I separate him? 2 months just seems young to me, although he is a big guy and very healthy.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep if he is nursing off mom then he needs to be weaned
    If I were ever keeping a buck that was on a doe I would still take him in to nurse twice a day and take him back out when done or see if he will take a bottle for you. as I bottle feed or lambar and they get milk until 5 or 6 mo old.

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I have heard of 6 week old buck impregnating a doe...Of course this one was done on purpose.

I would follow Sondra's advice above. Separate at eight weeks and try the bottle. If bottle does not work, try a pan or a lambar. If that does not work... put him in with his dam (supervised, it only takes a few seconds to breed a doe) a few times a day.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

LOL...visions of little buckling running amuck in breeding herd, still nursing dam...keep popping in brain!
    Kaye

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

KAYE I don't leave them on the dam at all my are all lambar. :)

6. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep I would pull him and try to get him to take a bottle.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Yeah, Sondra, I know that....I was just having visions of someone that did leave them on the dams! :rofl Talk about NOT KNOWING breeding dates! <GASP>
    Kaye

8. So here is another weaning question, will it matter to keep the two older doelings (Mid march babies)we have on the lambar with the younger two (early April babies)? Won't they be harder to wean?

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Doesn't matter to me everyone stays on until I am ready to quit when I get tired of it or no milk.
    then everyone is weaned at the same time.

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Tammy the more milk and the longer they are on milk the bigger your kids will be. Now I would be going and buying milk to keep them on passed 12 weeks. I have 6 kids, 4 are March kids and 2 are April kids, they do fine, I just make sure there is milk left over at each lambar so I know the April kids are getting their fill. Vicki

11. The only one I take out and add more milk for is Mercedes. The other three are such little piggies that their bellies fill so full you could pop them with a pin. Mercedes gets full and there is about 1/2 an inch left. I'm thinking of just keeping them on the lambar for two more months. I have cut them to once a day, in the morning. Boy howdy are they ever eating everything up. I am not to worried about any of them, they are plump little goat balls bouncing all over the barn yard. And Mercedes got up on the Hay manger today! Yay.

12. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Ok here's some related questions.

I have a new buckling, 4 weeks old last Saturday. We call him Truman. (long story) I've been stalling him at night, and putting him outside in a separate pen during the day (just a couple hours the last two days, but most of the day today). He's crying his little head off today :(. He stops crying when he can see the other goats or me, but when they're out of site, he's yelling his little head off. And, one concern is that he's staying as close to the fence as possible to be as close as he can to the other goats - and not taking advantage of the shade elsewhere. I've checked him several times today and he doesn't seem to be heat stressed, but it is 85 degrees outside right now. And he is little...He's a bottle baby, obviously, so I am giving him a bottle three times a day.

Spice's little buckling, Big Dan, is 3 weeks old. He's been nursing, but I did bottle feed him a couple times when he was just a few days old (I was worried he wasn't getting enough, since Spice only has half an udder. That's obviously NOT an issue now, since the little pig is getting a milk goiter. :))

I'm thinking of taking him and putting him in with Truman so (1) Truman will have a friend (maybe he'll stop yelling), and (2) I won't have to worry about BigDan with the doelings as he gets bigger. BTW, even at 3 weeks old, he is bigger than Truman and outweighs him by almost 5 pounds.

If I move him in with Truman, I'll need to start bottle feeding him too. I think I can get him to take a bottle - at least he has before. Will Spice freak out if she can't get him to come to her? (she will still have his sister. Little Anne, nursing). I think Little Anne will freak out too. Is there anyway I can make this easier on the babies? or do you think having a new playmate will make it easier...And easier on Spice? Or, should I even be thinking about it? Should I wait till he's a little older, or would it be easier to separate them now?

Sorry for the rambling. I'm just thinking out loud here...
    Kathy

13. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I hope someone answers, I'm curious too. I was looking at Alvin and his sister cuddling today and thought how sad it was going to be for them to be separated. Then I remembered they are livestock! But still...

14. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Moving Big Dan over with Truman IMO, might be good.

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

There livestock but goats are herd animals. Of course he should have a penmate. Will he beat up the younger kid, sure he will :) vicki

16. eliya

eliya New Member

I'd try to bottle Big Dan and put him with Truman. Goats are herd animals and will not be happy by themselves. Everyone will get used to the new arrangement after a while. If Big Dan tries to beat up on Truman, make a place Truman can go that the bigger kid can't.

17. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Well, so far so good. I put Dan and Truman in together this morning. They butted heads for a while, as I figured they would. Truman got the worst of it - his little head was bleeding where he was disbudded - but the fighting didn't last long. At 1:00 I went out with mid-day bottles, and thankfully Dan drank one. They'll get another one this evening. So I figure this will work out pretty well. He did yell and holler a bit looking for his mama, but after I gave him a bottle, he's settled down this afternoon. He was just hungry. His mama hasn't even acted like she misses him :really so I guess she'll be okay... we'll see how she acts this evening when they're all stalled separately for the night.
    Kathy

18. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I was going to say that they may butt heads for a bit and then become pals.. I bet you don't have much yelling at all after this.

19. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Well, stalling was fun. Tonight was the first night all the babies were separated from their mamas... and you'd have thought I was an axe murderer the way everyone hollered and carried on. All the baby girls are in one stall, and BigDan and Truman are in the other. The does are in the main loafing section of the barn, with gates separating them from the stalled babies. By the time I left the barn about 9:20pm, the doelings were settling down. Cinnamon's triplets were sleeping in the trashcan where they like to hide, and Little Anne was sleeping just across the gate from her mama, Spice. They were fine.

Truman's used to being stalled at night, and was back in the same stall he's been in, so he was fine. Big Dan is the only one who was still acting nuts when I turned out the barn lights. Hopefully now that it's dark out there, he'll go to sleep too. I plan on going out earlier than usual in the morning to make sure everyone survives the night :). Once I milk all the does, I'll turn out the doelings with their respective moms.

Tomorrow, leash training starts on BigDan and Truman. So far I've been carrying them back and forth, but we finally got everyone collars today, so I need to train them to lead. They'll be too big to carry before long anyway....

You're right, Stacy. The boys have settled down now and seem to be friends. Big Dan still won't grab for his bottle, but once I stick it in his mouth (after I pry it open :) he sucks it down in no time flat. I think this is going to work...

Honestly I have no idea how you guys do it who have 20 or 30 or more goats. I'm losing my mind just trying to take care of 10 right now!
    Kathy