Weaning my first Dam-raised kid....Is there anything....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

.....that I need to do special for him during this stressful time? How about his dam? (Like probios, Vit B complex, etc)He is an eight-week-old wether. In his individual case, he was ready. And he is going to a new home next tuesday. I wanted to keep him here to monitor him through his weaning process so I could care for him properly before sending him off to his new home. Here is his pic a couple of hours after he was separated:

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

He should do fine. I just separated my little buckling from his Dam. He was born in February. He cries a lot for her. She stands by the fence a lot. She really loves this baby. Be sure to put him on a medicated pellet for cocci and that has AC in it for Unrinary Calculi.

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Today starts his Corid prevention -5 day doses. AC?

Thanks.

4. susie

susie New Member

Ammonium chloride-- it acidifies the urine so they don't develop urinary stones.

Susie

5. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Mannapro goat minerals has it in there already, my goats LOVE this mineral.

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Thank you.

I need to pick up more minerals today anyway. Mannapro.... Okay, I'll look for it and see. :)

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would doubt kids would eat enough mineral to counteract UC if they are fed alot of grain. I would put him on a meat goat pellet with the AC in it, give a sack to the new owners so they can slowly move him onto one they can find in their area later. Vicki

8. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Good idea Vicki. Thank you.

How common is this UC problem. Do all male goats get it? I'll have to do a search on it, as I do not know anything about it, except something about crystals forming where they shouldn't. That is about the extent of my knowledge in that area. Hmmm. More research to do. :)

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Imbalance of the cal/phos ratio is what causes UC this is why with adult males we don't often grain and when you do grain you give AC in some form

10. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Okay. Now I am slightly confused.

A. Pellets is a source of Calcium.
    Grain is a source of Phos.

If UC is caused by an imbalance of Cal and Phos. Then why is it recommended to feed A. Pellets and not grain to adult males. I would think that in itself would cause the imbalance.

???