Weaning Kids from Mom

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rick532, May 12, 2020.

1. Rick532

Rick532 New Member

My son has three dairy goats, the mom, and two kids. He let the kids stay on the mom for quite a while and has now separated them to wean them from the mom. The kids are about 9 months old. They have been separated for about 4 weeks now. The mom's udder is about half the original size at this point in time. I am trying to find out how long we need to keep them separated before we can put them back together again. I can't seem to find any information on this. Can someone tell me if it is too soon to put them back together? If it is, how long do we need to wait?

2. Goatwell

Goatwell New Member

Are the babies drinking water, eating grain,eating hay????? If they really really are, then you can put them back together

Rick532 likes this.

3. Rick532

Rick532 New Member

Thanks for your reply! The kids are 9 months old and are almost as big as the mom and are drinking water and eating everything in sight. I've had a few other people tell me to wait until the mom's bag is fully dried up before putting them back together again. They say that they could start nursing on her again and bring her milk back. I was thinking if they were 3-4 mos. old putting back together would not be a good idea since the kids are so young, but these goats are 9 mos old so I was thinking since they are older putting them back together even with the mom's bag not fully dried would not be a problem. Since being told otherwise...... still not sure what to do here.

4. Mistyblue

Mistyblue New Member

My doelings stay with Mom until I'm ready to breed her again. Bucklings are separated to prevent unwanted breeding.

5. Angelia Gregg

Angelia Gregg New Member

Mom knows what is best. She will wean them herself. Why not use the milk yourself?

6. Georgia Girl

Georgia Girl New Member

7. Georgia Girl

Georgia Girl New Member

I could not help but chuckle, I have 2 girls that are 12 months old and still nurse, I think if you put them back with her, they will continue to nurse until mom decides to cut them off, I am with the others, just leaving them in until you rebred her.