Weaning doelings ??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Apr 25, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Trying to decide what to do...

I have a group of doe kids 12-15weeks old.... all on 2 feedings a day, limiting them to 2 20oz bottles each feeding...

trying to decide to go to 1 a day or continue 2 a bit longer....

they have browse, water, minerals, show pro goat developer, and alfalfa pellets...

the LM doelings (5) are avg 11-12.25lbs per month (except 1 avg 10lbs)
    the MM doelings (2) are at 10lbs (4th gen) and just over 11lbs (3rd gen) per month avg weight gain...

Would you drop this bunch to 1 feeding free choice to 60oz a day? Or continue with 2 feedings free choice to 40oz/feeding 80oz/day???

I already weaned their brothers off milk...

yard #2 is still on 3 feedings a day... and my last group of kiddings is starting... goat in labor today... day 142.

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I would probably keep them at two feedings but decrease the amount of milk given per feeding. I prefer to split milk feedings, I just think they do better. Ie. two smaller feedings is easier for them to digest than one larger feeding.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I drop to once a day prior to weaning. When the kids get hungry they will eat hay and grain. No need to do the same amount of work by feeding them twice a day. They will grow fine... my kids are very well grown and I feed once a day when weaning.

Keep it simple and lighten your workload. :)

Sara

4. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

12-15 weeks old. I would wean them. They need to develop their rumens.

Go to once a day/ 20 oz per feeding for a week and then cut them off.

Camille

5. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I go to 1x a day feeding at 10 weeks...and I only give milk until 12 weeks-this makes them really dig into the free choice pellets..they grow great! Thats what works for me and I'm stickin to it!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OMG as long as I have milk they mine get it.

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I had big growthy kids the last 2 yrs and fed to 16-20 weeks... so I am hesitant... but I think we'll go to 1x a day... I do cut slow... 3x to 2x to 1x to weaned...

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Define HAVE :lol I am buying 10-25gal a week to feed these kids (well all these kids) + what goats milk I can spare....

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Am I understanding you correctly that each kid is getting *80* ounces of milk EACH, DAILY?

(K and I are discussing and arguing)

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

HMM yeah... only because we LIMIT them to a max of 2 bottles per feeding...

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Hmmm {{{faint}}} I just did the math... JUST the 7 doelings in the big back yard are drinking 30gal a week!

Not counting the buckling still on 1 feeding a day (that I just found out the dc were STILL feeding him 2x)...

Not counting the 6 in the small yard still on 3 free choice feedings....

12. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Lynn,

We have big growthy kids (at shows they are easily as big as kids 1-2 months older) and they get minimum of 60 ounces/day up to 74 or so. At 8 weeks they get cut back to 60 ounces/day, at 9 weeks to 48 ounces, at 10 weeks to 40 ounces, and then 1 20 ounce bottle a day until weaned at about 12 weeks. Sometimes they go to once a day at 10 weeks and it doesn't seem to have hurt them (although they act like it does!)

I guess if you had so much milk you didn't know what to do with it, you might justify those amounts. But when you are purchasing it?! Yikes! We got these amounts (more or less) from Lori Acton. She told me that if you want big growthy kids, don't wean until 12 weeks, but then she added that you don't want to feed past 14 weeks (and this at much lowered amounts) so they develop their rumens. And Lori (DesRuhgestelle and Tempo) has big beautiful animals. I figured I'd just copy her. Well and the fact that we are
    both breeding high production Saanens made me feel that she was a good person to mimic.

Of course, to each his own. So many different ways to do things.

Camille

Camille

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Well running the numbers... we are taking the big yard to 1 feeding per day... starting with a max of 60oz for a couple days then cutting to 40 then to 20

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

small yard - kids are 3wks old so staying at 3 feedings...

15. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Lynn,
    I would go to the once a day feeding and make sure their feed and alfalfa intakes go up. Make sure their water stays fresh and they are drinking plenty of it. How much protein is in your show goat feed? We feed an 18% they start getting it introduced to them at 2 weeks of age and we will feed it until 6 months old. They also have the very best alfalfa we can find at all times starting at 2 weeks of age. They will not eat a whole lot of hay until about 4 weeks of age, then it pick ups.
    We wean at 8-9 weeks of age. I can hear the gasps already - it's ok, our National Jr. Champion was weaned at 8 weeks. We always get comments from judges about our kids being growthy.
    We feed 4x a day with a maximum of 48 oz. of milk per day. The last week we cut the kids back to 2 x a day feeding, then wean into a different yard. We have big growthy kids without going to 12 weeks. I think the key is making sure the feed and hay intakes (rumen development) are high enough before weaning so that they can get their nutrition through that.
    Dairy cattle are weaned at 8 weeks of age, why can't goats be weaned then? If I were buying milk or milk replacer, I would be finding a way to make your weaning ages closer to 8 weeks than 12.
    Tim

16. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Show Pro is 17% protein...and the alfalfa pellets are free choice... waterer is filled/checked 2x daily and cleaned 3x/wk.... lots of browse in their yard right now... they are actually in the biggest of my yards...

17. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Yep, then I would cut them down to 1x then to wean in a week.
    Tim

18. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I agree. It is all about the rumen development and how well they are each doing. 8 weeks is the age I learned of in 4-H when younger. My 3 alpine kids are only 6 1/2 weeks old and already eating plenty of solids. I still have them on milk 2x day. But will probably wean them at 8 weeks if they are doing well. My buckling is almost 40 lbs and not even 7 weeks old yet. The others are near 30 lbs. We shall see.

19. tioga13

tioga13 Guest

We are bottle feeding 4 doelings and are going through at least 25 gallons of milk a week, between them and our people kids. We don't have goat milk to spare either- I feel your pain!!!!

Well, you gotta grow the kids, so might as well grin and bear it. :lol

I have been asking myself the same question...right now the three older/larger doelings are 8+ weeks old. The fourth was a 5lb. triplet born a couple of weeks later, and she still needs 3 20oz feedings/day. But the others could be cut back. They look so good though, I don't want to limit their growth. I'm not sure when I ought to cut them to 2/20oz feedings. I haven't checked but am guessing the 8 week doelings weigh close to 40 lbs.

20. goatkid

goatkid New Member

This is something I've been thinking about as well. It used to be that once a kid could drink 20 oz at a time, I only fed them two bottles a day. Then, after reading what others do, I have kept them on three times a day for longer. My oldest group of kids turns 6 and 7 weeks old next week and are fed 3 20 oz bottles a day. They are eating hay and starting to eat grain. We have been having a buck year, so most of my does are raising bucklings. I'm having to supplement what I'm getting from the does with goat milk from my freezer for my bottle doelings. DH and I have been using soy milk. I'm thinking of cutting the oldest group back to 2 bottles a day and pulling some of the bucklings off their dams at night. Bottom line here is I need to start selling milk again to help pay for feed. With rising grain costs I have to do something. Our local auction is generally for cattle, but will accept goats. The thing is, we get more for goats when they have their goat and sheep auctions. I sure hope they have one soon, so I can get the bulk of the bucklings sold before they start costing too much to keep. Kathie