Weaning babies off of milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

When do you wean babies off of bottles or lambar? Curious as to the range...

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I think most people wean at around 3 months of age.. me, I keep the girls I'm keeping on milk until, well, until we start showing or some other thing comes up. But mine stay on it for quite some time..
    Yea, like that helped a lot... :)

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Last year we did a full range - the first kids got milk for 14 or 16 weeks? The last kids got weaned closer to 10.
    One of the ones weaned at 10 is our biggest yearling. If we keep any this year we'll wean at 10...so long as they are eating well.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I am going to wean mine the end of May, which will make them a little more than 3 months old. They are already eating feed well.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol First time they turn their noses up at the lambar! "You don't want it?-you're healthy!-you're weaned!"
    Mine usually wean themselves about 3-4 months old. Couple last year didn't want to suck a nipple that some one else had (OH,MY GOSH) slobbered on! :rolleyes Course, there was one doe in the pen that just HAD to try every nipple to find the best one. :rofl
    Kaye

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep Kaye I get that too someone touched my nipple ugggg

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Or heaven forbid one of them gets milk on the end of their nose. Snort Snort... AHHHH!!!!!

8. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

You guys are funny! My kids all have their favorite place to be, and when they run to the lambar, they are usually in their regular space. Quite odd, I know, but hey! it works! :biggrin When they get done nursing, they all have big foamy "mustaches" :rofl

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Really in answer to your question LeeAnne as long as I don't need the milk for sales the kids get it I have one a year old and on the bottle right now cause she is quite underweight so I just let her back on the bottle /lambar with my one and only bottle baby for right now. But normally in the past it has been 5 or 6 mo. when they start pulling on those nipples and biting holes that is the end of their milk

10. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Depends mostly on how well they've gained. Typically 4-5 months. Some less, some longer.

11. DEAR LORD...i wean EARLY!!!!

8 Weeks TOPS!!!! Most of them in the 6 week range. If they are eating grain good(half a pound a day) they are weaned. I have weaned some as early as 4 weeks. That is just the one thing I can not stand is feeding kids. So, I get them to eat grain faster so they are weaning faster. Also, I have grain and water out for them at day 2. Day 4 they are forced fed grain.

Ken in MO

12. and here I was feeling guilty if I cut them off before they hit 5 months!!! :crazy we have a lamb bar.. it's sitting on top of the freezer, where it was last year and the year before.. I keep saying next year.. we'll stop bottles and get them on the bar.. I guess I avg 30 bottles a day, starting in Oct and usually going thru May..even just typing this makes me realize how much extra *busy* work I'm making for myself..
    susie, mo ozarks

13. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Thanks! I was just curious as I was reading an inrelated article by Sue Reith and she mentioned that she weans at 8 weeks...I thought that no one weaned that early! :lol We have soem that are HUGE this year, growing well, chowing down on hay and alfalfa pellets etc and it makes me wonder...

LeeAnne

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Make sure that you compare apples to apples. Are you duplicating their program. Can you still get them to weight to breed them that first year? Good deep barrelled does who can win for you and milk for the dairy? Can you really take the info at face value with the quality of roughage we have compared to those up north...parasite issues? Vicki

15. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

L.A. ....I'm almost sure you was asking this from a Nubi stand point, but I'll throw this in for what it's worth.
    With these ND's, it' 7 to 8 weeks tops on bucks....mostly because I have to separate them from females at that point :mad. Doelings can go a little longer, but then only by a couple weeks.
    My oldest kids are 5 weeks old right now, and they are doing more at momma's food bowl than just taste testing stuff......and also are eating the tender green tops of the rye/ryegrass well too. In 2 more weeks, I will be added at least a couple more cups of feed (mostly Alf. pellets) to her bowl just to help cover what the kids are gobbling up. By 8 weeks , mine will be eating enough solid foods that they don't even seem to miss momma that much, and seem to only want a sip from her when they get their feelings hurt about something.

Whim

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Most of the pygmy breeders I know wean at 8 wks also but keep in mind Whim and the ones I am talking of here Dam feed and this is totally different IMO than bottle fed babies. Don't believe bottle fed get the amount of milk that Dam fed do in the earlier stages thus I feed longer. My two week olds are not even started on grain or hay yet.

17. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I am curious as to how you can get good enough bone growth on a full sized dairy goat kid weaning at or before 8 weeks. What kind of complete feed is neccessary with that kind of regime? Seems like everything would have to be top quality and totally balanced for them to thrive at that early weaning.

We also have a baby safe where they can feed without competition from older animals as soon as they are capable but they still drink as much milk as they can get!

I know the boer breeders do that too- get them on feed quickly and they get explosive growth but my understanding of a dairy animal is that bone growth is one of the most important features for a long term good producing doe.

Since they have to take up calcium dietarily and process it thru their system - depositing in bone- then calling on those reserves to produce milk- it would seem that getting more bone growth would be facilitated by allowing them milk as long as they are willing to drink it. More bone - more calcium conversion- more milk. Of course this is not a good business practice if milk is your money maker! Those kids can put it away!

Lee

18. Here is the way that I feed the young ones....all I have ever had was Swiss breeds.

Day 2 grain is offered to them. Most of the time its just a handful for all the kids in the pen. All the milk that they can drink. I feed cold milk. Put a bucket of water in the pen with them.

Day 4...they are forced fed grain this day. If they have ate it or not. Just a little in the mouth so they can get use to the texture. I feed a 18% calf starter.

Day 5...increasing milk now with warm milk just twice a day. Everyone starts out with at least half a gallon a day. Forced fed again if they are not picking at the grain. I toss out the left over grain, everytime new is added.

By week 2...they are up to 3/4 a gallon of milk every day. All the grain that they want to eat. At this point on...its full grain 24/7.

Week 3...over a gallon a day of milk

Week 5...gallon and half to 2 gallons a day. They are have milk out in front of them 24/7. twice a day they get fresh soured milk. I know somepeople turn their noses up at it. But, it has worked great here.

Week 6...as much of milk as they want. Grain is mixed to a 16% with addition of whole corn.

Week 7...Cut back to 1 gallon a day on milk

Week 8...cut back to 1/2 gallon of milk

Week 9...they are cut off from milk. I dont wean down as to one feeding a day or that. At day 56...they are done. No milk from then on. At this point they still have full grain in front of them all they want to eat all day long. I keep them on full grain till they about 6 months old. I put in 100 pounds of grain into a self feeder. So, they are never out of grain.

At about week 10 or 11...then they get alfalfa hay. I never feed hay with milk. The rumen is not devoloped enough to digest it till they are older.

Ken in MO

19. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Thanks for all that info. What an interesting method.
    no graze? you provide all feed?
    That much milk would certainly provide for a great early growth rate.

Lee