weak sickly doeling--help please!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shadow Woods Nubians, May 24, 2008.

1. Shadow Woods Nubians

Shadow Woods Nubians New Member

I am helping a friend with her goats--she hasn't had goats long and doesn't vaccinate or worm. She has this young doeling--doesn't know how old it is, but about 4-5 months at a guess. This doeling is thin, and smaller than her healty looking twin, but stomach looks bloated; she is weak; if you give her a little push she nearly falls over. She has a good appetite and eats well. She has just hay and browse but plenty of that, no grain at all. My friend called me for help and I would like advice as to what to start with.
    She's never been wormed, and I have Valbazen and Cydectin. Can I give her both, or is that too much? I thought to start with Valbazen in case she has tape worms, and a shot of B vitamins, maybe some Pro-Bios. Would love some advice.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

They need a source of calcium, Alfalfa hay or pellets. Since she is not gettin it I would dose her with CMPK in a hurry. Cocci Prevention is also a must. I personally use Corid. And yes, definitely worm.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

use them both together in this particular case to get all the worms. also needs TREATED for cocci if using a sufa 12.5 % I would use it for 10 days verses 5 normal on corid or Demethox 40% BComplex and probios and CD/T problem is this kid has probably already been compromised by cocci and never will grow or recover good. Hopefully she will. Get a temp on the kid make sure your not also dealing with something else.

4. Shadow Woods Nubians

I don't have CMPK, can she get it at the feed store? Or Tractor Supply?

I also have Ivermectin, I forgot to mention that. The doeling isn't scouring, which is a plus. I really want to help her pull through, for one thing, my friend will be won over to vaccinating and worming! She isn't against those things, just hasn't felt it necessary.

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I dont know about giving a doe that young CMPK at all. No its a Rx drug you have to get from a vet. Hopefully the worming and cocci treatments will help her. I would also get some alfafa hay or pellets for her to eat. This baby sounds like she got all the worms and her sis didnt...good luck

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If your friend needs help with one of her animals then she needs to join the forum. It is too difficult for us to help via information from a third party.

Tell her to email Vicki or I when she joins and one of us will approve her account right away.

Sara

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NO CMPK that is calcium I said CD/T shots not for being sick now but this lady need to get on a program in order to have healthy animals
    I would use cydectin and Valbazzen on this goat.
    also please do as Sara has said and get your friend on here to get the help she needs.
    edited to add:
    OK just went back and read this whole thing thru. Re: CMPK the answer is still NO for a 4 mo old.
    but she does need to start feeding them a form of alfalfa or something.

8. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I would be careful when worming goats for the first time with cydectin.
    I have seen some meat goats that have been real wormy get some bad blood loss when that load of worms drop off when wormed.
    They lost some of the goats to hemorrhaging.
    I would worm with a less effective wormmer first and in two to three days later worm with the cydectin to get the rest of the worms.
    Fran

9. Shadow Woods Nubians

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear--I personally am caring for this doeling at this time at my place, so I am asking for advice for me, what I should do with her, not for a third party at all. My friend doesn't have internet access and probably never will, as she lives off the grid and lives very simply. I am wanting to pull this doeling through, so I can get through to her that she needs to start vaccinating and worming. If she sees success then I can help her with her other goats.
    Thank you all for your responses,
    Elizabet

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Give the doeling all the wormers and the cocci treatments also give probios and BComplex. get her switched over slowly to your feed program I would start with just alfalfa pellets and grass hay myself. keep up the B Complex and probios daily I use 3cc of B Complex. I would also give her BoSE probably some red cell

11. Shadow Woods Nubians

She seems to be a bit stronger already today. Sondra, I have given her absolutely everything you suggested except the cocci treatment--she isn't scouring, her poops are normal, so should I just give her a regular 5-day preventive dose? Rather than treating her as if she has coccidiosis?
    I know she will be stunted for life, but if I can get her healthy again and somewhat thriving, it might help more goats than just this one, if I can turn my friend's husbandry practices around.
    Thanks again,
    Elizabeth

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I would give the doeling the cocci treatment even if she isn't scouring. Sometimes they don't get the runs until the disease is more progressed. Kathie

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

right with this doe I would give the treatment dose and then routine prevention ever 21 days