Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha! I work on a dairy goat farm as an evening kid feeder. I haven't worked with goats since I was in high school and I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with a kid that was born less than a week ago.

One kid -
  • Weak/stiff front legs, tremble while standing
  • Lethargic
  • Withdrawn, little to no energy
  • Drank colostrum, still drinks milk whenever a bottle is around
  • Fast heartbeat
  • Regular body temperature
  • Cries when it's laying down or held
I called him my little space cadet when he was born because he always needed guidance drinking.
YESTERDAY... his sister has the same thing, but in her BACK legs! She is a bit stronger than him, but same thing is happening!

We have about 30 kids that were born in the last week.

We also have another pair of siblings (different mother's from the ones stated above) who showed the same symptoms a couple days apart from each other as well. The ones stated above are MUCH weaker.

We've given them aspirin today.. not sure if that'll help though!

I've been researching and I'm not sure about what I found... Either White Muscle Disease or CAE... thoughts? Advice please! Thanks in advance!

· Super Moderator
138 Posts
hello and welcome to this forum! i see tht no one has responded to u i am so sorry. It kinda sounds like white muscle disease but i really can’t be for sure! in my goat years havent dealt with tht yet. i wud suggest if u dont get anymore replies join another forum called the goat spot. I promise u, you will get a reply on there! hopefully ur little kid is still ok🥺please say yes.🥺

· Registered
3 Posts
Aloha! I work on a dairy goat farm as an evening kid feeder. I haven't worked with goats since I was in high school and I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with a kid that was born less than a week ago.

One kid -
  • Weak/stiff front legs, tremble while standing
  • Lethargic
  • Withdrawn, little to no energy
  • Drank colostrum, still drinks milk whenever a bottle is around
  • Fast heartbeat
  • Regular body temperature
  • Cries when it's laying down or held
I called him my little space cadet when he was born because he always needed guidance drinking.
YESTERDAY... his sister has the same thing, but in her BACK legs! She is a bit stronger than him, but same thing is happening!

We have about 30 kids that were born in the last week.

We also have another pair of siblings (different mother's from the ones stated above) who showed the same symptoms a couple days apart from each other as well. The ones stated above are MUCH weaker.

We've given them aspirin today.. not sure if that'll help though!

I've been researching and I'm not sure about what I found... Either White Muscle Disease or CAE... thoughts? Advice please! Thanks in advance!
I had my first case of white muscle disease this past year. I bought a tube of vitamin E and selenium get. Dose the kids with the amount suggested on the tube. It will amaze you how quickly they respond. I found a person who recommended giving a little more about 2 weeks after the first dose. The package will tell you do not redose for a month. I did give s half dose at the two week mark because the doeling started having problems again. Apparently that can happen. I would be very careful about doing any more than the tube states. My girl was very deficient and needed the extra. I hope this helps. I also dosed the doe.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello and welcome to this forum! i see tht no one has responded to u i am so sorry. It kinda sounds like white muscle disease but i really can’t be for sure! in my goat years havent dealt with tht yet. i wud suggest if u dont get anymore replies join another forum called the goat spot. I promise u, you will get a reply on there! hopefully ur little kid is still ok🥺please say yes.🥺
My favorite kid boy didn't make it. His sister who was stronger passed away even before him. There are still other pairs of siblings with symptoms. I'll post on the other site. Thanks for the response :)

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am so sorry. I wish I could’ve gotten to ur post sooner! 🥺
I'm not sure if anything would've changed to be completely honest. I was pretty convinced it was white muscle from the beginning. I shared the treatment plan to the owners of the dairy farm. They thought about calling the vet, but never did and still haven't. I left work on Friday with 2 of the newest kids happy, running around, eating, and fine. Yesterday I went and they are withdrawn, weak legs, and not really interested in food. These kids used to be annoying as they had so much energy and wanted to be everywhere you were! I can only do so much on the farm. It's frustrating to observe babies fine one day and weak the next (but still eating for the most part). This farm is going to lose a lot more kids if nothing's done. I looked up places to get selenium with vitamin e (forget the name of the actual product), but our island doesn't have any for you to personally buy. You have to go directly through the vet. Oh well! Going to just keep advocating and hope for the best! I appreciate your response. I contemplated posting on the other forum but until the owners actually do something, I really can't make anything happen.

· Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, the kid passed. For future reference are you in a selenium deficient area and if so do the does get selenium and vitamin E paste a month before kidding and also before breeding? I am guessing it's a deficiency of some sort as multiple kids have issues right? I am guessing the farm could get some selenium and E-paste shipped in? If you can get some I would give some to the kids ASAP. If you can, separate the weak kids with their dams from the rest of the herd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts