We made it to Colorado.....finally

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tracy in Idaho, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

Well, we made it. 15 hours of driving, through a ground blizzard on a sheet of ice, doing 30 mph on the Interstate all the way from Laramie to Cheyenne.....talk about fun! :crazy

We saw more semis wrecked on I-80 than we could count....including one literally ripped in half! Cars and pickups off all over.....I think the seat cushions were sucked so far up our butts it wasn't even funny. Poor Robin spent the last half of the trip hugging her box of Goldfish crackers and grinding her teeth!

At any rate we made it and are safely at the motel tonight. We pick up the new boy in the morning. Since we made it, I guess I can spill the beans on him.

I have yet to see him, but I am pretty excited about him. His name is Willow Run Redemption Regards. He is a son of Rishona's littermate sister Reemah , who I am told was a pretty impressive doe herself. He is sired by Redemption, who is a Rishona son owned by Waiilatpu --so a very strong linebreeding on Rishona's genetics. He is a purebred French Alpine, which is something new for me, but I can't wait to try to incorporate that type of style.

Okay, I am off to bed. Hope the next check in is from us safely at home!

Tracy and Robin!

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

An added note from the passenger on this trip. You must understand, we had pure terror for probably 6 hours of the 15 hour trip! The biggest joy is that we get to do it all again tomorrow! We are exhausted and are hitting the hay now... wish us luck for tomorrow as we will need it. And there is a new rule in the Tracy/Robin partner in crime club...there are no, I repeat NO, roadtrips from Oct 1 till oh... April 15th... so don't sell Tracy anything during that time period cause we are not picking it up.... no matter what it is.
    Robin, who fears getting back in the truck

3. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Glad you made it safe!!
    What we do in the name of goats :biggrin
    Here's praying you make it home safe!!

4. rojen

rojen New Member

I thought I had it challenging in the Philippines. You two remind me that in many ways I got it easy!

Having lived in the mountains half my life, I can picture what you went through. God is gracious and has plans for you. He kept you safe!

Ron

5. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Tracy, he sounds phenominal! Congrats! Looks like the Alpine comptition in Idaho will be even MORE fierce!

Robin, I think Tracy owes you a CASE of Mike's for this trip!

Get home safely... God Speed.

Ken

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Good to hear from you Congrats on the buck and PLEASE have a safe trip home.

7. Corky

Corky New Member

OK, sorry but I can't help it.

This only proves that goat people are truley NUTS :crazy just like I have heard. :sigh

Why would anyone drive on ice for 15 hours to get a goat this time of year?

Not to mention what the goat is going to cost them including gas.

I know! I did the road trip for a buckling myself. On a lark. We spent almost $500 for gas plus two nights in motels on the road.

Becky had the buckling I wanted but was half way across the USA from us and just for fun DH says Heck, lets do it. We are due for a vacation anyway.
    We thought we were going on a little farther and visit his Family while back east but he changed his mind on that.
    I think that in the end we needed to get back home quickly for some reason.

but......IT WAS NOT ICY!!!!

8. SherrieC

SherrieC New Member

Yep goat people are Nuts! : ) Robin I feel for you it is Soooo scary especially when someone else is driving and you can't even pretend youre in control.. I'll be praying for you today that both you girls the vehicle and that Impressive buck make it home safely

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin
    Robin, in your defense...you better find a NEW friend.....cause this one's going to KILL YOU!!! :rofl

Oh Tracy, yeah, I would have done the same thing for those genetics...and have been known to do a few "off the wall" trips to get what I want! :biggrin

You two will look back on this in about 20yrs. and giggle and think, "DID WE REALLY DO THAT FOR A GOAT?"

Hope you two have a safer trip on the return!
    Kaye

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Guess I am going to have to start paying more attention to all this Alpine stuff now :) There is more intrigue in Alpines than Nubians now!

Congrats Tracy, what a wonderful animal! Vicki

11. Theresa

Theresa New Member

What!! You didn't ask me about traveling to Colorado!!! I would have told you not to go. Last February my brother, daughter and I got stuck there in similar weather conditions!! Except the interstate was closed, and when we got there we had to travel back 100miles to find somewhere to stay!! Only go to Colorado in the heat of the summer!! When there is no chance of SNOW!!! :crazy

12. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Tracy, (and Robin)

I got stressed just reading the post...not a fun trip! By the by, I would much rather be the passenger in this situation because
    then I can close my eyes and pray. :lol :yeahthat

Your buck sounds wonderful Tracy. Did you save any does to be bred to him this year?

Closing my eyes and praying for a safe return trip for all three of you. :D

Camille

13. H. B. Acres

H. B. Acres New Member

We made it home... I think it was 13 hours today instead of 15. There were still 2 or three semis that went off the road today in the much smaller bad section. Tracy is probably trying to get her new buck all tucked in for the night... as for me a hot bath and I am hitting the hay. I probably won't leave my compound for months! Well, except for work.
    Robin

14. Josie

Josie New Member

Glad you guys made it back! Sounds like an incredible trip.... all's well that ends well eh? :)

Congrats on the buck!!!

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH so glad to know you made it back safe and sound!! Thanks for the update

16. SherrieC

SherrieC New Member

phew! I'm glad you made it back quickly. I hope you have a couple hold overs for the new buck ?

17. rojen

rojen New Member

Glad you are back safe. That certainly is one for the road. What is the lil-bucks name?

Ron

18. Odeon

Odeon New Member

This reminds me of when Steve and I decided we needed to drive to California on New Years day to pick up some H. Homestead Nubians (YEARS AGO!). We needed chains to get through Reno, there was so much snow! Donner pass was closed, so we took the old highway through Taho... (we were in a two wheel drive pickup.) INSANE!

Tracy, I congratulate you again on your new purchase, and for confirming that goat people will do ANYTHING for that "perfect breeding" ! LOL

Ken

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well how's "Willow Run Redemption Regards" ?? Settling in ok and all you exspected??

20. SherrieC

SherrieC New Member

Ken- before my house fire when I had to sell off all goat stock in 2000, I owned some H-Homestead nubians! haven't heard that name in a while : )