Wax like strings of colostrum - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, May 8, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

One of my alpine does kidded this morning, tonight I milked some colostrum out of her to put in the freezer. One side was normal, but the other had yellow wax like strings of colostrum, kind of like noodles. I kept milking, and that was all that would come out. That side is pretty full, I'm wondering if that is all that is up there!? Any suggestions or ideas about what might have caused this? Should I just try to squeeze all of it out and hopefully that side will start producing drinkable colostrum? She is acting normal in every other way. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! Kristin :D

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I would save some of that and put it in a little glass jar or something that you have washed out really well with hot soapy water and send that in to the lab for testing before you do any treatments of any kind. Sounds like mastitis to me. Did you vaccinate all of your does with the Lisigin vaccine? Look under Goat Keeping 101 to find out where to send your sample.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Also try milking it all out if you don't she could get really bad use warm compresses and massage and keep working on it.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

They can't test colostrum, least we have never had colostrum testable, now when it's blood or thin black fluid and not really colostrum it will come back. I would go out and milk that side out really well more often. I have had does who had weird colostrum before, and usually just in on half that never went on to have mastitis as long as the colostrum was normal...just lumpy or congealed. Once in milk you could have that half checked for mastitis though at the lab. Vicki

5. reedfarm

reedfarm Guest

I had that once and I just kept milking her out and eventually she thinned out. Keep working the stringy colostrum out. Good Luck! Kristine

6. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Thanks everyone! I milked her totally out this morning and got around 3/4 of a quart, and only a few TB of that was this stringy stuff. So I'm hoping that she is fine. I went out there this morning and one of her babies was eating off that side, hope that's okay. Like you said, I can't have colostrum tested anyway, so I'll just keep watching it. Besides, she is acting normal in every other way. Thanks again! Kristin

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep think you are OK