Wattle Removal

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KJFarm, Mar 29, 2008.

1. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Is there an easy way to remove wattles on newborns without a vet doing it. I usually don't mind wattles on my Alpines, but I had a couple of doe kids born today, that I would like to have the wattles removed. An older goat friend of mine, told me years ago, that they could just be snipped off at birth, with little bleeding, but I never was brave enough to find out!!!

2. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I just use a sterile pair of sissors, then spray the cut with iodine.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Wonder if you could tie dental floss around real tight and they would fall off like testicals do

4. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I suppose you could, but sissors are so much quicker, and cleaner. No atrophe that can get infected, just a clean cut, and it's over.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

yep Snip, and diP

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yep. Snip and dip. I do it all the time. Probably 75% of my kids have 'em because of buck. I don't like wattles.
    Kaye

7. Harmony Goats

Harmony Goats New Member

I have only taken wattles off of one goat before. We use a rubber band that we cut. They fell off alot faster then with the dental floss. But now she has 2 little wart looking things where the wattles were. Now I have another doeling with wattles but she will most likely keep them.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Clipping leaves a much better cut with no scar or bumps.
    Kaye

9. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Thanks everyone!!