Water management

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Nov 22, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Now that cold weather is here, we begin our "water trek". For us this means carrying HOT water from the bathroom and neutralizing the cold water from the faucet. Our goats get tempered water 2x a day. It really helps keep the milk production up those last few weeks, and they all drink more which prevents urinary problems in bucks and heavy bred does.

This is something that is often overlooked on small farms, so check your management. A source of neutral temperature water is important! ;) Of course there are easier ways to accomplish this than carrying water out from the tub faucet, but that still works! :lol Totally worth the few extra minutes it takes and something anyone can do. Even the children can handle a small bucket. ;) No excuses; find a way to get this done!

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Good post Judith.

For those of us in the north, this is not an option... the goats would have frozen ice if other provisions are not made.

I don't haul water through the snow. Thankfully we have automatic heated waterers for every pen. :)

Sara

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I am sure my neighbors think I am crazy carrying my tea kettle back and forth during these cold days! But, it works and the goats come running when they see me pouring in that steamy boiling water into the icy tub. Crazy, but it appears that I have moved south, just to freeze...it was 19 degrees this morning.....I shoulda stayed in Maryland if I wanted to wake up to that!!!

Paula

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Brrr. That's cold for where you live. Where I live, we have to put stock tank heaters in our water to keep it from freezing. We also bring buckets of warm water out to goats who are under the weather or have just kidded. Kathie

5. tiger408

tiger408 Guest

We're doing the hot water trek here in Michigan already too. But the goats sure do like the warm water :) .... wonder how many trips it will be when the real cold weather gets here?

6. Oh the joys of winter. LOL.
    I am going to try to buy a heated waterbucket for my goats for this winter. I hate breaking ice on the girls bucket and refilling. What a pain in the rear. I have two heated buckets already, but they are in use.

7. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

My husband and I just had the "water and electricity to the barn for heated water, etc." conversation this morning. :) I'm just a tad north of Paula above "the rim" so our temps run a couple of degrees cooler--flowers all bloom a week later in the spring, too. I tried putting hot water in, but with my buckets, found it easier to just dump them and fill in the sink in the kitchen--particularly since with my small herd I still have the luxury of buckets and daily cleaning. :) The goats (and chickens) sure do love the warm water--like a nice cup of tea to them! :) I'm not looking forward to icy ground in the next couple of months, though, or I'll need snowmobile boots with screws in the bottoms to make the trek w/o slipping & falling! (my trek isn't too terribly far, with the barn so close to the house)

I asked my Grandma the other day what they did with their MI winters. She said one year, they had 15 feet of snow to shovel to just get to the barn and tend their animals! YUK! I think I'd want my barn ATTACHED to my house if I had to do that! :)

8. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I'm south of the other TN girls, but in a cold pocket so our temps often compare to Crossville. It's been in the teens the last few nights. Water buckets frozen by bedtime. Thankfully our barn is not too many steps away. Our only bathroom is on the OPPOSITE end of the house. So the water carrier has to go all the way through the house. Thankfully dh doesn't mind taking off his boots...:)

9. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Here in Michigan, cold cold cold, but I am very lucky lady.. I have hot water in my barn
    Thanks to my wonderful hubby and son..
    Barbara

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

hmm, we have no electricity in the barn so we haul warm water out 3 times a day for milkers, twice for bucks. Break ice out, that's what rubbermaid is for. I'ld really like a new barn with all the goodies and water piped into it. maybe someday.

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Water hose from your hot water heater wouldn't be eaiser? Vicki

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

well, that would be HOT and it's inside a wall cabinet you have to disassemble to get to, and only holds 50 gals of hot water. we do use the hose from the basement till the snow is too high then its buckets on the sled. easier than pulling 200 ' of hose anyhow.

13. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

We have a tankless hot water heater, not the tank with the hose thing at the bottom, or that would be a great idea!

14. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

I don't mind the hauling...it's about 250 ft. I'm back and forth down to the chickens/rabbits/goats 4 or 5 times a day anyhow and I just take 2 milk jugs of hot water with me. But I HATE dealing with frozen water. :( I have heater bases under the chickens waterers and that's what I'm useing for the goats (I only have 2)--heater base with a 4 gal metal bucket. The rabbits I'm having a harder time with....but I almost have that figured out, too. :)

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol Vicki, I use your method. My HWH is in the laundry room and it has a window...really cold days (not many) I run the hose out the window straight to the water troughs twice a day. ;)
    Kaye

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Kaye it's also how I bathe my goats, I just turn it down or 1/2 and 1/2 buckets of hot and cold. I haven't put another HWH in since the last one rusted out on the bottom. Vicki

17. bonafide

bonafide Guest

I've got a coffee pot in my barn (usually just to wake me up in the early morning feedings/late night checks (long night checks for the mares) - and I'll warm it up and drop two pots per barrel and stir it up - works great, doesn't get it hot, but doesn't keep it ice cold --- if I can stick my hand in it without freezing, it's good! :)

Now - I also have water heaters which I use while I'm up there to defrost buckets and warm it up. We use them to heat large quantities of water in a more efficient manner for our Saturday bran sessions --- it's cheap, easy and works great. Since we don't leave it unattended it's not a big deal - but it warms 30 gallons at a time which in two different warming sessions takes care of all the water buckets/troughs for horses and goats. Now the cows water - they have the pond and they get two barrels fresh every day - the other two are rotated...plenty of fresh water.

Great point though - glad you brought it up - plenty of fresh, unfrozen water is usually an overlooked topic at many barns!! :) ^5