Walk me through this

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

We luted our doe last night. When she's ready, we're prepared to do a uterine flush. Then oxy. She's on penicillin now.

We've never done this before so I need some step by step help here. How do we know when she's ready? Just by checking her cervix periodically? She should dilate completely, right? So what are we looking at...24-36 hours from when she got the lute?

For the flush....7cc LA200 and 25 cc distilled water in a syringe. We're thinking use a tube just past her cervix. Is that right? Just right inside, not much further, right? Then what? When does she get the oxy? Right after? Anything else?

Dd was thinking we should switch to the LA200 instead of the penicillin. She thought the LA200 wasn't good along with pen. But since we're using it as a flush that's not necessarily true, right? There's no milk withdrawal with pen but there is with the other. Is one better than the other?

Kalne

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

1st why is she on pen now?? and you would only flush if you have to go way in to straighten out kids. Vicki just gets a glove full the antibiotic and wipes down the uterus you want the flush also in the uterus not just the vagina. I never never have flushed unless I am up knee deep to my elbows or decomposed kids. but your right using LA200 with the flush has no berrings on the injected pen.

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Sorry....continuing from last night. She kidded Wednesday and we're suspecting she has retained some of the placenta.

Kalne

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

PM Kaye or Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

To do a uterine flush on a doe that's already closed up, you need the following:
    Lute to open the cervix back up.
    1. An AI sheath, cow or goat, or a mare infusion tube. AI sheaths you can get from anyone ~cow or goat person that AI's. mare infusion tubes you need to get from a vet. Some AI sheaths have a split on the side of them at the top, to flange out on the gun...cut at the bottom of the split to make it seal on your syringe.
    2. A speculum and light source. You are going to need the speculum to open the vaginal walls to get to the cervix. Light source to see the opening of the cervix. It's not going to be like a doe that's just kidded and the cervix is wide open. You're essentially going to be AI'ing the doe with the medication.
    3. A 30-or 60cc lure slip syringe that you're sheath will fit tightly on.

You will need to give the shot of lute, wait 12 hrs. and start checking the cervix. It will usually be open in about 24 hrs. Best case scenerio....the cervix is open enough the sheath just slides in...worse case, you have to work it in. BE GENTLE! Get your sheath tip started into the cervix, if you can't get through all the rings...then start slowly depressing the plunger to inject meds....sometimes the medication will flow through the rings without having to go all the way into the uterus. lots of backwash or spray...and you're not far enough in or jammed up against a fold. Pull back a little and try again.

This should be enough info. to get a uterine flush done.
    Kaye

6. Kalne

Kalne New Member