WADDLES cut them or tie them? How to???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sondra, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK Waddles are not my cup of tea in fact I really don't like them. However I now have a beautiful buck with them so know that this spring I will have babies, probably with waddles. So what is the best way to get rid of them cut or tie / at birth or wait a week

2. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Sondra, my 2 Rico doelings had wattles that I didn't want, so I snipped them off with sharp (sterilized) scissors, the day they were born. Snipped them flush with the neck and sprayed with Iodine. Very little blood. You could probably tie them off successfully too, but watch for infection where the string is cutting flesh.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It gives the cowlicks you always snag with the shavers if you cut them. I had someone hold them, cut around them with a scalpel, then cut them off and stitch the skin, I would use the staples now. This way it was a clean straight scar, no cowlick, no piece hanging, no indentation. Another friend of mine simply banded hers was sort of cute with their little green rubberbands on them. But I do agree, they are ugly. Vicki

4. eliya

eliya New Member

Wow, I've found someone else who doesn't like wattles!!! I've never really cared for them, but I hear lots of people who LOVE them.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I too HATE wattles. I cut them off if they are born with them (we ONLY get them with our LaManchas - never Nubians). I cut them off the same way Vicki does.

Although I have to admit, my beautiful 2008 LaMancha doeling, Million Dollar Baby, was born with the cutest wattles so I left them. Oh, and she is white too. :)

Sara

6. eliya

eliya New Member

Yeah, I think they can look o.k. on some goats, but they sure don't thrill me most of the time! You know we'd love to see a picture of your white LaMancha kid...

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH my, well I am no good with the scalpel so guess I will have cowlicks

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Not fond of them either, but too chicken to cut.

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I thought wattles were cute when we got our buck who has them.....then his 1st daughter got wattle cysts. Big ugly things looked like she had golf balls on her neck. $300 later they're gone & she has 10 stitches on each side. I no longer think they're quite so cute. I have 4 does bred to him for Oct kids, so need to figure out what to do if they have wattles.....I heard from someone to tie them off with dental floss. If you cut them, do they bleed much? Do they need a stitch? Is it a vet thing or could I do it myself?

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

go back and read Janie and Vicki's posts they answer your questions

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Not a biggy. My Toggs have them quite often. I cut them off at birth.
    SOP (standard operating procedure) is: Vaccine, dip navels, check sex, check teats and/or testicles, wattles cut off.
    I use a pair of SHARP surgical scissors, pull the wattle just a bit, cut next to the neck and spray with Iodine. No wattles.
    Kaye

12. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I'd do like Kaye if we were getting rid of them.

When we started we had a lot. Each yr we have less and less. I guess it isnt that much of a dminant trait.

I dont care for them. DH loves them. DH pays the bills, is building a dairy and lets me drive to MT and ID for new goats so if he wants them painted purple with streamers hanging down he can have them. Small price too pay to get to have my goats. LOL

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

HOW True LeeAnne and the BUCK is beautiful even with his waddles but I am not having more of them and my DH could care less :)

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm sure glad your Nubi's don't have them.. I'm not fond of them either.
    Although spray painted purple with streamers.. hmmmmm :)

15. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I love wattles, on swiss breeds, I would cringe if they were on my nubians.

16. NubianSoaps.com

Yep I am sorry but I would doubt your Nubians are purebred with them :) Vicki

17. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

We only had wattles on the boy babies this year. No wattles on herd buck. One dam had no wattles, gave birth to two wattle-less girls. Wattles on another dam..both boys had wattles. Wattles on another dam, boy had wattles, girl did not. Are wattles more inherent on males?
    Anita

18. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Are there any purebred nubian lines WITH waddles out there? I can't remember ever seeing a purebred nubian with waddles.

Ray

19. NubianSoaps.com

Yes they are on Nubian Talk, also a group who although are all American Nubian fans, also have polled purebreds. Yup Yup Yup :) Vicki