Vulva question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Oh, the things you never think you will ask a bunch of strangers! LOL

We have an aged doe (will turn 9 this month) who is heavy bred.

The last few weeks her vulva has been REALLY swollen. She looks like we just spent an hr in there rearranging and delivering huge buck kids! But, being as she is still pregnant, we haven't been. She has been this way for a few weeks, tho she still has all of the usual pregnant wrinkles and 'smilies'. I assume that this is just an age, thing, but we didnt see itlast year and it looks SO painful!

Is there anything in particular we could do to help her? We have prep H, would that help at this point? Or does it just look bad but is of no real consequence? The "older doe" thing is all new to us...

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't really know but I have a doe that gives quads that looks like this forever it seems some times prolapsing when laying down Hasn't been a problem yet. But I don't do anything

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have a 2 year old Alpine doe that is HUGE, looks like triplets at least, and her vulva is elongated and a little wrong side out with some pink showing. I think it is because she is just so full. She looks like she swallowed a barrel side ways.

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Mine start doing it too when theya re getting closer...its almost springy in a way ...my cows really get springy before they calf, so just figured its just getting ready and its got to go somewhere when there isnt much room left inside.. This just tells me they are getting alot closer.

5. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

LOL! ain't it funny, the things ya ask people you have never met! I know that MY goats certainly get tired of me staring at their little coochies........and wondering if everything is normal...;) good luck with your old gal!

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I have to agree with the running outa' room! My obie is 8 days from due date and absolutely obscene! :blush
    She's wider than she is tall and with the black vulva (with pink showing) it's very obvious even when standing.

I'm just hoping and praying it's 3 again instead of 1 big ole' buck!
    Kaye

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Sometimes when they are big like that, I think if only they would cough a lot the kid would pop out .

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

LeeAnn the old girls can swell up on each side, more towards the tail, about the size of flat golfballs, and these areas can get dried out looking like they have calluses. Nothing really helps it go down until after they kid, hormones activity goes away and they turn back to normal in days. It's really quiet amazing, and I have no idea why some do this and others don't. It's about the same time they loose their ligiments, so I wonder if it isn't their ligiments actually buldging out into the perineal area? Vicki

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Well, I guess if I think about it it makes sense, after all, in women...naw, thi si s one thread where I wont make a correlation between pregnant goats and pregnant people! LOL

Thanks for reassuring me...I was pretty sure it was OK, I just hadnt seen it before...