Vit. C

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Goater, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Goater

Goater Guest

Does anyone use injectable Vit C? If so where do you get it and what kind. I was reading Pat Coleby's Natural Goat Care and was very interested in her remarks on Vit C.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

It is a vet RX I use powdered or crystals from the health food store.

3. Tricia

Tricia New Member

The does use rosehips and chewable tablets.

4. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

I was watching a holistic veterinary video one day and the vet was Kerreman (sp) from Treating Dairy Cows Naturally. He said that injectable vit c will cause abscesses if given in high amounts, as it kills muscle tissue. Make sure you research any ideas you get out of Colby's book before doing them.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I have used injectable vitamin C for years. I use it and vitamin B anytime an animal is "off". It has proven very safe for me. I give it subq of course. Our vet carries it. I also use it when treating mastitis along with the mastitis treatment. Mastitis treatments along with the injectable vitamin C have proven faster clear-up on the mastitis than when I treated it but didn't also use the vitamin C. This is mainly with dairy cows.
    I keep the injectable vitamin C on hand at all times along with vitamin B, ringers, etc.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

This was almost certainly referring to giving Vitamin C in the muscle. Almost all shots are given IM with cows.
    When I give vitamin C to goats it is usually 6-12 ccs SQ. It has never caused a problem in all these years.

7. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I use powdered, but would like to be able to get the injectable. Sometime I'd like to try Colbey's treatment for mastitis, although hopefully, I won't have a doe with mastitis anytime soon! My vet won't rx it to me though. He says goats don't need vit. c but make all they need on their own. :sigh
    Kristin

8. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Pine needles are very high in Vitamin C.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I do use feed through Vitamin C crumbles in early lactation, started it back when I dealt with alot of congested udders, or if I had a doe with mastitis.

But I was wondering exactly what you were trying to improve in your herd to give vitamin C? At some point don't you have to say enough?

I was wondering also what her protocoal for mastitis is? And what kind of mastitis? All mastitis? Vicki

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep Vicki I love her ideas on Vit C and mastitis will email you the article I know it worked for me years ago with the one doe I had with horrible mastitis.

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I feed Vit C to help loosen the super tight Orifices, that I have in one line. Crickey! You need strong man wrists to wrestle out a stream of milk. Now I don't know for sure that it helps but I don't think it hurts. : )

12. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Goats make 20-40 grams of vit c on their own (all animals but a few make it inside their body) but Colby claims that in times of stress they need more.
    I guess there isn't anything harmful if you are using during infections, or snake bite, or in a case of poisoning, but large doses for long periods of time deplete the amount of copper in the body. Vit c does bind copper as well. This is her sneaky reason why she includes it in the copper sulfate and vit c and dolomite (that is also a binder) in her copper mix.

Her vit c ideas come from Adele Davis who got them from Linus Pauling, and his science was said to be kinda doubtful. Pauling, is the guy who said that mega doses (50,000 grams) of vit c can cure anything, from cancer to colds.

So, I think a reasonable amount is o.k. and probably helpful, but I'd be careful about using mega doses of it.

13. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I have used vitamin C to help with congested udder/mastitis issues. I have one doe that is prone to having a congested udder. But I have to admit I just feed the Sunkist chewables - it just never crossed my mind to do anything other than chewables when vitamin C was recommended. :blush Besides citric acid powder I have never seen it in any other form - :crazy

Jeff Foxworthy - You know you're a redneck when you feed your goat chewable vitamins! :rofl

14. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I do the same thing. :blush2 Have I just been wasting money?

Wendy

15. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

The dosages I'm talking about here is 1000 mg a day, which is 1/4 tsp. And that is when I remember to do it.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't use it daily only in stress/ ie: colds /alergies / mastitis etc. and when I do use it I use it the same as for myself coming down with a cold which is 1500 mg to start off with and 1000 mg every hr for 2 to 3 days. now granit I don't run out there every out so to be realilistic the goats get it 3 times a day at 1500mg ea time.

17. ali923

ali923 New Member

I have been giving one chewable vit c to my milkers once a day. Is that doing any good or is it pointless to use it in any time other than stress or illness?