Viral Mastits

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jesibel13, May 2, 2017.

1. Jesibel13

Jesibel13 New Member

Hi,
    Has anyone ever had a goat in milk with Viral Mastitis? Can not really find anything on web for it. CAE is the closest thing that it can be except they do not have "hard udders." We cultured the milk and found out it is not bacterial base. We had been treating our 2 Does with TODAY and gave them LA 200. Even had Our Doe Natalie on penicillin 2x a day until we found out it was viral, so the antibiotics don't work. Made sense as to why our other goat Evelyn had it so long. Vet is doing blood work to rule out CAE. Anyone else had a similar situation? We are drying them out now per Vet. I want to help them as much as I can. Kids from one Doe are fine but kids from Evelyn have diarrhea, not sure if that is related to what ever virus they have, but they are 2 months. Started them in a worming regiment yesterday from Molly's Herbs. Just trying to do every thing for the goats. Also giving them an immune booster from Molly's Herbs.
    Thanks!

2. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

3. Jesibel13

Jesibel13 New Member

We are doing a fecal sample on the kids. The does in milk have been getting wormed once a month with a pellet formula. I started them all on the herbal formula to try something new. Evelyn was first to get Mastitis, she kid March 6th then had mastitis by March 10th. She didn't want to be milked, her udders looked swollen and pink. And her milk didn't look right so I didn't give the kids her milk. When we milked the skin started peeling. The left udder had a lump under the skin, inside. So it was bad. Started treating her and her udders started looking better. After skin peeled normal color came back except for one pink spot. In left rear udder towards the top you could feel a lump like a giant jelly bean inside and not attached to the skin, like in tube/vein. I called the vet out to look at her because left udder on the teat it still had a pink spot the wasn't shrinking and under skin it was hard. The right udder, on the teat started getting white spots. So vet said to dry her out because it was chronic mastitis. (It already had been over a month) So we are drying her out. Natalie, started getting jumpy towards the end of milking and her udders didn't look right to me. Did the CMT test on her she tested positive. I did the test 2 times on her to make sure. And then I found blood in her milk. So all kids got on formula after that. Natalie had a ball looking thing in her udder. When vet came out she checked both goats and did a culture on Natalie. In the both teats you could see lumps around where the teat meets the udder from the inflammation inside. They day we started penicillin she got a mass in her right teat that didn't go away and then another ball in her left udder. The ball in left udder seemed to disappear and then blood started coming out every time we milked her (4x a day). We stop when vet said it was viral and to dry her out. Also her udders would feel hot but she had no fever. Sorry so long but that's what they went through. I have a Nigerian goat who wasn't not with them that I still milk and as of right now she is still good. My kids that had diarrhea, the buck in particular that it first, is finally pooping more solid since I gave him the herbal wormer and immune booster. Also took grain away just in case he was over eating. And I did come across the mastoblast but after vet said to dry goats out.

4. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

OK. I've never had any luck with getting the girls to eat enough of the pellet wormer to do any good. Mostly it just makes super worms that are resistant to that kind of wormer. Get a fecal on everybody, find out what worms they might have, only treat the ones that need it. Use the dosages in the health and wellness section of the forum for the appropriate wormer.

You need to run a culture and a sensitivity test on the does that are testing positive for mastitis. You have a bacterial mastitis that is resistant to the antibiotic you are using and you must change to a different one, but until you run a sensitivity test, you won't know which antibiotic to switch to. If you bought the Mastoblast, please give your girls some, it will help them while you wait for the tests to be run.

The little ones almost certainly have Coccidia, which is not a worm, but is easily treated with coccidia meds, like Corid or Sulfadimethox. Again look for dosages in Health and Wellness.

I hope this helps, please let us know how it goes!

5. Jesibel13

Jesibel13 New Member

We did the cultural test on the milk and it was not bacterial? Is their another test that I'm unaware of? Vet let us know it's viral because of the results on the cultures milk. I will talk to her about a sensitivity test. Also one Doe has been drying out for 2 weeks and the other for a week. Can you get their milk production back?

6. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

CAE is the only viral form of mastitis, and almost always presents with a hard udder. The only other type of mastitis, besides bacterial, is Mycoplasma. You have to get this cultured separately in blood agar, then using a Giemsa stain to verify. If it is Mycoplasma, don't use tylan or erythromycin to treat, it will destroy the remaining good udder tissue. Mycoplasma is nasty and even if you treat the doe, she will more than likely infect every other doe she comes in contact with. Hopefully its not myco. Get them better first, then figure out if you can still milk them.

7. Jesibel13

Jesibel13 New Member

Thanks this helps, I've come across mycoplasma so I will look into that more. Right now that is my main priority, to get them better. I'm assuming part of the reason we are drying off also is to not spread what they have through the milk. Again thanks!