Very Wide Doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

My Abby isn't due until the end of March. She looks like she swallowed an innertube.

She gets up much less often then she used too. I often see her sitting like a dog.

It's only in the last two days I have noticed any change in her udder. It's not full by any means, but she doesn't look so shrivled up.

If she is due sooner than I thought, she was bred thru the fence. At this point I am hoping she doesn't wait until the end of March.

Have any of you had does look so big more than a month prior to kidding? Any special measures I should take?

Thanx

2. Katarina

Katarina New Member

how old is she? it is our older does that tend to look SO huge and miserable that you just cannot see how they can live like that...sort of like how I feel pregnant with number 11!

3. Truly

Truly New Member

She will be three on 4/10. This is her third freshening.

I'm thinking quads, but I'd rather have twins from a doe that doesn't look so miserable.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Is she overwight when not pregnant? I had a Boer doe who was a hefty gal and she spent the last month and a half of her pregnancy siting like a dog. She had triplets. I sold her because Boers get too fat managed like Nubians. And yes, my some of my does who were carrying large litters got really wide. With these does, it's important to have injectable calcium on hand because they are more likely than does carrying only 2 or 3 kids to get MF. How are Roxy and Celina doing and when are they due? Kathie

5. Truly

Truly New Member

No she's not a generally fat doe. I have the CMPK injectable.

Roxy is due in April. Celina is my first doe due. She is due the 16th of March. She's starting to look miserable too. She is bred to Buster as I felt she was too small to breed to Astro.

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Hey, isn't that something. Celina and her twin Chelsea are due the same week. Chelsea is due the 13th.
    Kathie

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Uh sorry, for the record, Katie (astronut) is NOT pregnant with number 11! That was her mom thinking that she was logged in!

8. Truly

Truly New Member

I pretty much made that assumption. :rofl

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hey Lois.....check out this wide load.....she is as wide as she is tall now. Day 145 today, and she don't look to be in any hurry to spit them things out.
    [​IMG]

Hey , just for the fun of it.....some of yaw try to guess how many she will have, and what sex they will be......those of you who guess 3 bucklings will get coal in their stockings next Christmas. :twisted

Whim

10. Truly

Truly New Member

Yep Whim, that's wide.

Mine's been that wide for about a month and still has a month to go.

I'll guess 2 does and a buck. What's the prize?

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Lois .....Bless your heart......if you are right, and I hope you are....I'll send you something in the mail from the house of Whimmididdle's & Whatnot's .

Stay tuned, Whim

12. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

My guess is 3 does.... :biggrin

Autumn

Sending doe vibes her way...

13. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

WOW whim- our doe who had quads last night wasn't that wide! Of course then I have one who's even wider then that, who I was sure would go 1st & who's still waddling around :)

14. Corky

Corky New Member

I have a doe that is due Saturday and she looks just like that.
    I have notes from last year and the notes said she was diamond shaped then. She only had a 7 lb doeling.

15. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:nooo :nooo :nooo I can't hear you.

16. Josie

Josie New Member

Yeah i'm guessing single doeling too just because appearances are all to the contrary. I had one do this last year - she was HUGE - i was guessing triplets. Kidding with a normal sized single doeling and lots of fluid. Who knows!?

17. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I'm guessing two basketballs-lol! I hope you get what you want!

Well, my nubian that gets the tummy like that has loads of kids, twice quints, 3 times quads, triplets ect...and one time a single! So ya just can never tell.
    You know how they say the television adds 5 lbs-well my poor doe looks almost deformed on my monitor in the house she is sooooo big! Poor thing is due on Sat...she went 5 days early last year, I wonder what she's brewing in there.

PS-I like your stall set up

18. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

had a doe who was HUGE this year........... had triplets last yr........ bigger this year, so predicted quads.......she twinned with 2 huge bucklings! Who knew? I gave up on guessing. lol