VERY sick goat!! Need help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goat girl, Jan 18, 2008.

1. goat girl

goat girl New Member

:/ :help
    Last saturday a Nubian doeling--born last spring seemed a little "off". Couldn't pin point what was wrong. Fur not fluffy to keep warmth in like other goats---very cold here now. Put her in the barn. Temperature normal. Seemed to be getting weeker. A friend said to deworm her. Did. Had some old Eprinex pour on, did that but also did ivemectrin paste. Seemed to be getting little worse--took her to vet. Everything sounded fine said the vet. Checked fecal. Told me to deworm whole herd with febendazol. Did. Neck seemed rigid where couldn't bend head. Next day down on her side--very stiff. Last 2 days has been in my garage. Have heat lamp on her and on a blanket and covered with one. Been giving her electrolyte to drink with a syringe. Also been feeding her alfalfa pellets. Drinking quite a bit of fluids---at least 8-10 oz. 3 times a day, and eating quite a bit of pellets. She is as stiff as a board. Legs move sometimes. Is this tetnus? Vet gave her shot of antibiotics and I repeated it today. Any ideas for what to do? IS this a result of too much dewormer? Any help appreciated---the sooner the better. She doesn't seem to be in pain.

Thanks
    Christine

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sure sounds like tetnus she needs to be up in a sling too at times. I would be using Tetnus antitoxin and pen the antitoxin is a two day thing and pen is twice a day for 10 days but am thinking if any possiblity to save this goat you have to go with a Vet RX stronger antibiotic.. also banamin regarless of signs of pain. and also lactated ringers as that amount of liquids your giving isn't enough a 100 lb goat needs at least 1 gal of water a day and no way can you syringe that amount. What is the temperature of this goat. My guess is her whole system is shutting down by this time. Laying will certainly bring on fluid pneumonia also.

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

tetnaus is what came to mind for me also. Is she UTD on shots has she had an injury ? I would also be giving b viatmins .

safeguard does not work in most herd. Was the eprinex given orally ? At what dosage ? How about ivermectin paste how much did you give her ?

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I'm thinking tetanus here too. Also, thinking she is not getting enough fluids and her kidneys and liver will shut down and also the doe will have circulatory callapse. I'm also wondering if the Eprinex was poured on or given orally, and wondering if it would be of consequence in this case.

If she is interested in food still, then maybe she will come out of it with the right meds and lots of TLC :D

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Yep iv fluids the best sub Q # 2 warm fluids to body temp first

6. goat girl

goat girl New Member

After looking more on internet I almost would bet it is tetnus. I gave her antitoxin today and started penicillin--35 pounds so gave her 5cc. She is still hanging on though looks worse than yesterday. She is so rigid--neck too. Am keeping her warm and she still will take a little fluid every few hours and will eat some softened alfalfa pellets. I don't expect her to make it through the night. I am too new to goat keeping to even try an iv of fluids--and already have spent $65 for the local vet who told me it was probably worms---some in her fecal test--but to the vets credit, she was still walking and not too stiff at that time. Can't afford to put too much more $ into her--especially since the outlook is grimm. I keep asking St. Francis to help.

I'll keep you posted.
    Christine

7. BethW

BethW New Member

Christine, if the outlook is as grim as it sounds, you don't have anything to lose by getting fluids in her subQ. I'm a newbie, too, and I wouldn't try anything IV either, but subQ fluids are another thing altogether. Like Patty said, warm the fluids to body temp first, then inject enough to cause a bubble under her skin. The bubble will dissipate as the fluids are absorbed.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't do IV's either just subQ and lactated ringers are cheap. call your vet and get some if she makes it thru the night.

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Hi Christine, how is she doing today?

Christy

10. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We lost a goat to tetanus 2 years ago, after a night time rush to the vet when he scratched his head and basically ran down a whole litany of things that it ALMOST looked like but not totally. (polio, meningeal worm. tetanus, etc) It took much longer than we wouud have expeected for him to die, it was very hard. If I had a goat that I was reasonably sure had tetanus and was at thee down and out and rigid point again, to be frank, we'd out it down.

for now...rather than worry about fluids IV, go sub-q, inject the WARMED fluids under the skin until you have a large palm-sized bump raised. you will need antitoxin definitely and more than the antibiotics that the doc did. Dexameethasone to reduce brain swelling. To be honest, what I have found is that except for with a rare exception or two, vets, once they have decided that they know what it is, they wont hear your opinions or questions, they will act as if you are just challenging them or grasping at straws.

Our buck was fully vaccinated for tetanus. We did change how we did vaccinations after that, though. We separated out the tetanus from the CD part, we generally dont buy vaccines from feed stores, we dont save already opened vaccines, we figure there is a reason that they say to use all of the bottle or discard...and tho it seems a waste, truly, what is $3, $6 or even $36 compared to the value of a goat to your herd?

Good luck and at least be turning her if you cant get her up into a sling.

11. goat girl

goat girl New Member

She is still alive. She will take a bunch of fluids via a syringe in her mouth--as if was giving medicine. I am feeding her goat milk. But won't take alfalfa pellets anymore. Her neck is stiff--and arched towards her back. It has been this way since the beginning of illness. I have been told it could be worms by another goat local nearby--she has lost several this past summer to them. She told me to deworm with sulmet--she gave me some. So I have and am to repeat it over next several days. But to be honest I am about to put her down. It was recommended on this board to give her bo-se---I have contacted just about every vet in the area---no one has it. Someone said to give vit b6--have started that--2cc twice a day. Am giving penicellan 2 times day. But the amount of time she is taking to care for --and with six human kids and homeschooling--I just can't keep taking the time for her. She seems alert---but it is the stiffness of the neck and it arching back---I just don't think it would ever get back to normal. Has anyone ever had a goat with an arched neck like this that then recoverred?
    My plan is to give her till tomorrow---If I haven't seen some improvement I will put her down.
    Thanks you all---and if you have ever dealt with this neck stuff, please let me know if you think after wards it would be normal.
    christine

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Christine....I'm not trying to dampen your hopes, but if this is tetanus , she won't be but very little better tomorrow if any.......what I've seen of tetanus is a very slow recovery....so don't go to thinking that she is just gonna get back to normal any time soon.
    Sondra just went through this with a buck a few months back, and she will be the first to tell you that it takes time, patience, and a lot of dedication to bring a goat back from a severe case of tetanus. Just don't happen overnight..

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Tetnus you won't see any improvement at all for 10 days and then tis a very slow process after any signs of improvement.
    BUT and this is a very BIG BUT SULMET does absolutly NOTHING for WORMS!! now if it is COCCI then your sulmet will help cocci
    BUT have never seen cocci cause stiffness unless dead. Sorry but unless you go get some lactated ringers the goat will die anyway so put her down. Know this is blunt and am sorry for that

14. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Sometimes, you need to know when to hold them, know when to fold them...and know when to walk away. If the goat is taking away from your family duties and you just can't do what needs to be done, then put the goat down and don't give it another thought. Harsh, I know, but sometimes we have to make tough decisions.

15. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Also would of treated it with Tetnus antitoxin ...

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It can be a tape worm, they can effect the doe like this.

Sulmet is not a wormer, it is a sulfa drug for cocci, bacterial enteritis an bacterial pnemonia.

Sometimes in the course of a disease process like this you have to stick to one course of treatment, block out everything else and go for it.

If you have not been worming or fecal sampling and others in your area are having the same problems than you should go for the big guns, use a cocktail and worm. Treating both blood sucking stomach worms, stongieds that make your does loose condition and tapes, by using levamisole and fendbendasole...or Valbazen and Ivermectin Plus etc...

You simply can't syringe enough fluids into the mouth of a goat to get the over something like this. She needs to be on a steriod also, banamine to take some of the swelling down but also to sedate her some. Tetanus is very dramatic and usually kills very very quickly except at Swede farm where nothing I know works there :) You can usually go back to a hoof trimming or injury 21 days from the point of the animal being down. It isn't his prolonged deal you are going through if with excellent care, very few make it through.

I would keep up everything you are doing and worm the doe. You will have to tube the meds down at this point.

Honestly as long as this has been going on, and if you can't get big time mentor help with her own drugs and skills, I think you should opt to put her down. Even a vet at this point is limiting...unless you are going to take her to a teaching university that knows goats.

Sorry about this. But do use this to learn, necropsy her, even if it is just you and someone who knows livestock. Vicki

17. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"except at Swede farm where nothing I know works there"

:really

Well, in our case it wasnt THAT long, we werent talking weeks and weeks, a few days...but that time sure draaaaaaaged.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If this girl can stil open her mouth and it isn't locked tight I am getting hesitant to say it is tetnus. my little buck went from sucking a bottle to locked tight no way you could syrings as even if you did he couldn't swallow. took 7 days before he could even begin to swallow again

19. goat girl

goat girl New Member

Just thought I would let you know I put her down last night. Thanks for all the input.

Christine