Very Sick Doe need Advice

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rebecca, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

I went out to water this morning and found a very sick doe. She was perfect yesterday and hasnot ever been sick in her life and has only been to the vet to be disbudded. She had a temperature of 103.9 F and was laying down in the normal goat lying position except she was star gazing and appears to be blind and is very weak she can only stand with assistance. I gave her a banamine injection and rushed her to the vet. He said it was probablly polioencephalomalacia, but could be listeria or lead poisoning but was very unlikely since I can think of nothing lead that she could have been exposed to. He gave her 2 cc Excenel, 1 1/2 cc Thiamine and 1 1/2 cc Bo-SE. He told me to give 6 cc Pen-G tonight and Banamine as needed. I am to repeat all these injections for 3 more days. He said if it is polio she should respond within a couple days. I wormed her and the rest of my herd two weeks ago and I routinely run fecal tests at home. The vet did take a blood sample and I will know the results later today or first thing in the morning. She will not drink , but I was able to dench her with a small amount of electrolytes when I got her home. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Rebecca Boling
    Haskell, OK

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If it is polio, she needs more thiamine. Did your vet give you the bottle?

How old is your doe and what does she weigh?

Often times they respond very quickly after starting the thiamine; even within 15-30 minutes.

IV fluids given subQ are preferred to drenching with electrolytes.

Sara

3. wardarden

wardarden New Member

rebecca,

I have a sick doe too and have been able to get her to drink from a bowl of warm water. Sometimes they like it warm. But keeping her hydrated is very important. I hope she makes a speedy recovery

Arden

4. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

Sara,

She is 7 years old and weighs about 125 lbs or so.

He didn't give me the bottle of Thiamine he just drew up 3 shots for me.

I do have a bottle of Vitamin B Complex that has 12.5 mg of Thiamine Hydrochloride (B1) per mL.

Rebecca Boling
    Haskell, OK

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Wonderful. He's going to run a panel on her and see if something is out of balance. I will reserve my comments until the panel is run.

Sara's right..with the first shot of Thiamine you will be able to see some improvements. The blindness will continue for several days and improve.
    Ugh...just plain B Complex 12.5mg/ml for 100# goat is 36cc. The Fortified B Complex has 100mg Thiamine and she would need 5.5cc of that. Maybe call a couple places near you and see if they carry the Fortified...it's OTC.
    Hang in there...he's trying.
    Kaye

6. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

Well she is doing better today. She is up walking around in her stall and will drink from a bowel for me and eat a little hay if I help her, but she is still blind.

The vet called and said her blood work came back all pretty normal. He said her WBC was normal protein was slightly elevated and the hematocrit was also slightly elevated. He said it was really nothing to worry about. Since the WBC was normal he said I am definately dealing with Polio.

How long does it normally take for the vision to come back?

Rebecca Boling
    Haskell, OK

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Ahhhh....I love it when a panel is done! Wish I had a CBC and panel machine at my disposal!

I can take from several days to several weeks for the eyesite to correct. One of mine took 10 days before she quit walking over things.

Don't stop the thiamine until she's able to see. What she doesn't need, she will pee out. Also consider that this will affect her rumen so probios or any rumen building stuff is needed.
    Kaye