VERY poor milking second freshner

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Feb 7, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK I have a second freshner that was ALREADY on my *leaves this yr* list...

BUT she is milking a ridiculously pitiful amount... so NO WAY to sell her as a family milker...

What do I do?

Her stats last yr were lower but not like this....

Last yr she kidded twins and milked 5 1/2-6lbs a day

This yr she kidded twins (one was one of my two malformed ones) and is milking 2lbs (sometimes up to 3lbs) a day. She is 18 day post kidding. Wormed with Cydectin day of kidding and Valbezan at 11 days..... temp is normal range with others. Eating fine... she is not low end of the totem poll...

So what on earth do I do? I can't afford to feed her at this production level... and can't sell her as a milker...

I have a couple other lower than expected milkers this yr... but another is giving her normal decent amount... one is doing INCREDIBLE (8-9.5lbs as a MM)... and 2 are doing about as I expected...

Oh we did move the water and began adding warm to it 2x a day...

They get alfalfa pellets, oats, a handful of corn, and a bit of calf manna.... with safflower oil on their grain...

I really want to winnow out these lower milkers....

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

is she the one with the "bones" delivery? if so My big ole milking machine of a saanen that did that last year, milked pitiful, when at appraisal SR grabbed a handful of armpit fat on her and said "what is this all about?" I told him about her mumified kids, and he said "Oh, ya that'll do it." I expect great kids and tons of milk from her this year. but she was at around 5-8lbs all last season. So if not that one maybe the deformaties of the unnatural gestation taxed her in some way? Probably Nothing at this point this year you can do to up her supply.

Advertise her for a pet slightly milking goat, or a companion animal, maybe an elder couple needs a little milk or a family with one baby? Or eat her.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

nope not the one with bones... that was Ginger her milk is down too... but not this bad and I expected that...and intend to rebreed her for Nov kids.

This is Coco.... 1 healthy & 1 deformed kid... and I do not feel she is worth me giving another chance to... I have to cull min 4 goats...

Thank you for the suggestions...

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would try some CMPK
    by the way you have chgd your feeding program from last year too haven't you?

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

we dropped barley & boss since last yr.... added calf manna & oil... added back in corn in a SMALL amount... which we had cut in 06...

we gave her some cmpk for a few days when she kidded...

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

maybe I should readjust feed again... slowly..

just cost of BOSS is so much.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't know as Vicki didn't have a drop in milk production using just oats and oil
    I just can't bring myself to do that yet.

8. Truly

Truly New Member

There are ppl who would be happy with a milker that gives that much milk per day. I wouldn't hesitate to sell her as a milker. Then offer a free breeding next fall. Someone would jump on that offer.

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Hmmm OK will consider that... I have not sold anything milking under 5lbs a day yet... she is a good gentle goat...

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

oops I take that back... we sold a 3lb a day MM in a package deal last yr....

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just a wild thought here but did you change milkers (kids) on this doe??

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

nope same ones as last time and actually Becca who she loves gets less than the boys do often...

Boys milk AM... and Becca milks PM...

Caleb (6) has not milked this yr... but last yr she was one he could milk....

She has never been a *particular* goat... I have 1 only 1 of those thankfully!

The malformed kid was an easy birth... #2 was a bit tougher though in good position and not a bad size for her at 7lbs... but took moving her and some pulling...

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK this is what I would do just to see if it helps /

1. take her temp
    2. get a fecal to see abt worms and cocci
    3. more cmpk
    4. Fortified B Complex
    5. probios
    6. start milking her 3 times a day for 3 or 4 days then go back to twice a day.
    If nothing works sell her as is

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Thanks Sondra...

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just sorta throw the book at them in hopes it will help :)

16. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Any particular book you would recommend?? :rofl

17. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I would recommend, at this point, a nice heavy one.<grin>

-Melissa

18. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

For the record, I fed mine alfalfa pellets and oats, beet bulp and corn oil and had lots of milk. I used milk plus and BOSS for awhile but when I ran out, did not add it back in and production was still fine. I went to once a day milking early but they were difficult to dry off at 9 months lactation. I felt like with these LM, rich feed or a whole lot of feed was not necessary.

19. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Seems to depend alot on the goat... I have some better milkers and some average milkers...some that do fine after rough kiddings... some that do not...

then I have Coco... BUT NOT FOR LONG!