Very large doeling advice needed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NWgoats, Dec 2, 2008.

1. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

I just weight taped my Alpine doeling. She is not quite 8 months old (will be on Dec. 12th) According to the tape, she weighs 110 lbs!! I was planning on waiting until next fall to breed her because of her age, but since she has grown so well thought about trying on her next heat.
    She is not fat, I would guesstimate her at about a 3.5 to 4 in condition. She is only a couple of inches shorter than my 2 1/2 year old and only about 30 lbs. lighter. Breeding now would have her kidding at 1 year old.
    If she were yours would you breed her? Should also mention that this is only my second breeding season. I waited till my first does were 1 1/2 to breed them, was worried about both my inexperience and their size. I have noticed that you recommend being more experienced before breeding younger stock.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes, there is no reason to hold over juniors, and she is nearly a yearling, when they are well grown. Sure hold them over if they are not growing aggressively.

And just for a little comparison at 11 months old she should have weighed 110 minimum, all of my March kids who are being bred right now, are at or over 100 pounds. All the alpines I have ever seen mature nearly twice as fast as Nubians. Vicki

3. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

So, then for her to weigh 110 at 8 months old is a good thing?! My only previous experience has been with "rescue" goats who needed lots of extra time to get up to speed. She was purchased from a breeder who has (to me) very large goats. I just didn't want to get over eager for kids from her and do something to hurt her.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

nope your not going to hurt her

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have 2 Alpine doelings that are comparable in weight to yours and I have already bred both of them.

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I would breed her. With a large doeling, I'd be concerned she'd get too fat if I held her over. I breed almost all my does to kid as yearlings. I have two does who will freshen as two year olds, but I bought them as dry yearlings. Kathie

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

when I read this title I thought you had a doe birth a 15 lb + monster doeling.