Valbazen dosages

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by brendagoff, Aug 23, 2013.

1. brendagoff

brendagoff New Member

Question for ya'll on your dosing of Valbazen for tapeworms. I've heard of several different protocols.

Do you use the 1ml/10lb dosage:
    1. once only
    2. for 3 consecutive days, or
    3. give a dose, repeat in 10 days, then again in 10 days?

Also, does your dosing differ for kids vs adults or does it differ if you are doing prevention vs treatment?

Thanks!
    Brenda

2. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

We use it in conjunction with Cydectin. The dose of Valbazen I use is 8 ccs per 100 lbs. Given once only, but I know there are many different protocols.

3. fmg

fmg New Member

Caroline, do you use 1 ml per 22 lbs of the Cydectin as well? I just got a doe back who is really skinny. I've got her quarantined I'm trying to get her wormed and fed up before re-introducing her to my herd. I would like to get rid of any possible thing she might have gotten from her previous farm, and I wasn't sure if I could give the Cydectin and Valbazen at the same time. I have given her a dose of Cyd., will give another in 10 days, and maybe that is when I will give the valbazen as well. Is it hard on their liver to process 2 dewormers at once (cydectin + valbazen)?

4. Audrey

Audrey New Member

I do option 3

5. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

I only dose with Valbazen once. It's the first wormer I give to kids starting at 3 weeks old. I've never seen tapes in my adults.

6. brendagoff

brendagoff New Member

Thanks so much for your responses!

Brenda

7. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

That being said, my entire milking herd has pail eyelids, some worse than others. Nothing on fecal. Yes, it's hot now, but I fecal often and if I had a problem you would think I'd find eggs eventually. Ashley Layton suggested I not rely solely on fecals. So I just dosed them with both Cydectin AND Valbazen, not knowing exactly what to do (besides nothing which is obviously not working for me). Most does are in good condition with good coats/skin, but there are two (out of eight) that are not.

I'll continue to fecal and check eyelids and report back.

8. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

Cindy,
    I remember someone saying last fall they had similar problems but nothing was showing up like you. They ran a regular flotation fecal and a centrifugal fecal at the same time and found a ton of eggs on the centrifuge one but none on the flotation one.
    Just a thought.

9. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Thanks, Jennifer. I've often thought I should send in a sample and get the Baermann test done even though we don't live in a swampy area. If this last round of treatment doesn't help any, I'll do that.

10. fmg

fmg New Member

Was wondering about Liver Fluke, Cindy. I think they cause anemia too. I live in a very dry area, but we still have slugs in the garden, and probably in the irrigated pasture.

11. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Yes, Nancy, that's why I'm considering having MSU run a Baermann test. However, since I just wormed them with Valbazen also, if they do have liver flukes, this should clear it up.