Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Let me introduce myself since this is the first time I have posted. My name is Vicki and I live in North Carolina with my husband and animals. I also have a grown son and daughter. I have a small herd of Nubians and Saanens. We love the milk and everything that I make with it.

I am 50 and arthritis has been creeping up in my hands. After reading most of the posts, I have decided to build a milking machine. My husband wants to know what are the minimum requirements on a vacuum pump for milking. I will be milking one goat at a time but want the pump to be able to milk two goats at a time in case I decide to do that at a later date. I'm an eBay shopper so I have already gotten a DeLaval bucket off of eBay. I've ordered the Parts Dept. catalog and gone over their website and Hamby's. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Vicki in NC

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much Stacy. I have been to Christine's site before and learned so much. But, it didn't tell me what size pump would be good for two goats.

Vicki in NC

·
1,197 Posts
Vicki,
My Hoegger machine has a 1/3 HP Gast Rotary Vane Motor. It easily milks 2 goats at a time. You don't have to have a monster machine to milk goats!!!

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Vicki I have a book that tells me all that stuff if I can find it. Will look it up for you.

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
And call mike at partsdepartmentonline.com or Paul Hamby. They are great. You can get vacume pumps at northerntool.com etc. etc...and any farm motor mine is 1/4 horsepower eaisly milks 4 does. Neither my show machine nor my big commercial machine has any ratings left on it for the size of the vacume pump so no help here :) Vicki

1 - 6 of 6 Posts