Vacuum Pumps

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, Feb 12, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

Hello All,

Let me introduce myself since this is the first time I have posted. My name is Vicki and I live in North Carolina with my husband and animals. I also have a grown son and daughter. I have a small herd of Nubians and Saanens. We love the milk and everything that I make with it.

I am 50 and arthritis has been creeping up in my hands. After reading most of the posts, I have decided to build a milking machine. My husband wants to know what are the minimum requirements on a vacuum pump for milking. I will be milking one goat at a time but want the pump to be able to milk two goats at a time in case I decide to do that at a later date. I'm an eBay shopper so I have already gotten a DeLaval bucket off of eBay. I've ordered the Parts Dept. catalog and gone over their website and Hamby's. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Vicki in NC

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

3. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

Thank you very much Stacy. I have been to Christine's site before and learned so much. But, it didn't tell me what size pump would be good for two goats.

Vicki in NC

4. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Vicki,
    My Hoegger machine has a 1/3 HP Gast Rotary Vane Motor. It easily milks 2 goats at a time. You don't have to have a monster machine to milk goats!!!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Vicki I have a book that tells me all that stuff if I can find it. Will look it up for you.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And call mike at partsdepartmentonline.com or Paul Hamby. They are great. You can get vacume pumps at northerntool.com etc. etc...and any farm motor mine is 1/4 horsepower eaisly milks 4 does. Neither my show machine nor my big commercial machine has any ratings left on it for the size of the vacume pump so no help here :) Vicki