Vaccine and wormers order help please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Feb 16, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

About to place an order for routine stuff so my friend and I can improve our goat med cabinets. Would apreciate your advice.

I have lots of plain ivermectin pouron. In the past it was used for goats at twice the 1% inj rate given orally. Any reason I cant use that? IIRC its safe in early pregnancy, she has does that were pasture bred in Dec.

Is cydectin safe in early pregnancy? These goats were wormed about 5 mos ago, all have good eyelid color, but we need something available to have on hand as its starting to warm up here and the grass is growing. They will need to be done soon. I hope to start doing fecals this spring. But right now, I dont think a fecal taken to the vet is going to show us too much, and only create a false sense of security, or we'd just do that.

Our vet recommended we vaccinate for pastuerella and leptospirosis, in addition to the CD&T. Anyone else do that, and if so, which vaccine preparations do you recommend? Jeffers has an amazing array and most are cattle biologicals. I have Lysigin in mind, also, but IIRC its only important iif youre showing or travelling, and not important at home. Not sure why I recall it that way, since its to cover mastittis, but for some reason I do. Am i mistaken? Should we do this also? No known history of mastitis in either herd.

All advice and suggestions greatfully appreciated!

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Lysign is for mastitis...I think you may be confusing the pasturella vaccine with it. Mastitis you can get even if it's a closed herd.
    I'd definately vaccinate for pasturella, if you are bringing in new goats or intend to transport. Lepto...I have my doubts that you will need this. I don't vaccinate for it.

My vaccine orders are for: Pasturella, Lysingn, C/D, and Tetanus. I also order Tetanus Antitoxin just to have on hand.
    Kaye

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Also please order CD ANTITOXIN if you need it you don't have time to order it.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's not done yet, but I will post a paper I am giving out this year to new folks....it will be in goatkeeping 101. Sort of does a rundown on vaccines etc...from Birth to kidding again. Vicki

5. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks, guys. Apparently the lepto is a local problem here. This vet tends to be a mimimalist IMHO, so if he suggests it, hes got a good reason. I'll try to get more info in it.

I think youre right was mixing up the reasons for pasteurella and lysigin in my head. It didnt seem right. Thanks for clarifying.

CD antitiox makes the list Thanks for the reminder.

Vicki I will look forward to your list. That should be very helpful.

Kind sick here some kind of GI ug is really kicking my butt. Catn sit up too long wthout feeling pretty dizzy. Second day of it and its gotten worse. Please excuse if I dont get back to you right way, but I appreciate all the replies. They help

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Feel better Laura.

I posted it...no critiquing it's under construction...and yes anyone can steal it, just remake it into your own for your breed and your area. Vicki

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl
    Consider it *stolen*!

I just love it when someone else takes the time to make one of these lists!! I had one in microsoft word and a gremlin ate it...so, it's replaced by yours. ;)

Thanks, buddy,
    Kaye

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Thanks a bunch Vicki!!