Vaccine advice

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

As most of you might have already guessed, I'm a complete chemical idiot. I understand feed, housing, clean pastures, etc., but I am soooooooo slow figuring out chemical wormers, vaccinations, etc. I'm used to horses. Buy a tube of this or that every couple of months, and give it in a nice pre-dosed syringe, and that is it. Okay, well dairy goats are in another class, I understand this. Nothing is researched or tested for them, etc. Makes my life harder. I'm working on this incomprehension problem. Right now, I'm looking at the Jeffers catalog for vaccines for the season. I need CDT boosters. There seem to be several on the sheep and goat vaccine page. I decided, because of information I got on this forum, that I wanted to do my CD and tetnus seperate to hopefully avoid the little bumps I was getting. Looking on page 30 in the jeffers catalog, I cannot figure out for the life of me which vaccines to order. I do not know the difference. Can anyone tell me what their choice is? I need like exact brand, etc. Also, I've heard some say they vaccinate for pasteurella, what part of the country does this, and why would I do it in Central Va? I'm not against vaccination, just want to be sure I'm getting the right ones.
    Thanks soooooooo much to anyone who can help out a chemical dummy.
    Anita

2. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

We decided to vaccinate this year. Haven't done it since we have had goats for 8 years. So we got the basic cd&T, pasturella and lysign.

The last two are based on symptoms. Early this year we had staph dermatitis in the herd and it was pretty bad. We used the lysign at that time and we think it helped the goats get over it. So lysign will be part of the herd vaccines for a few years at least. Going to use pasturella because I have one goat who gets snots at season changes, and I know when we moved many of the goats had shipping fever. So we hope it will help with that. It will also help the goats we sell. We plan to make sure the animals we use for colostrum have these vaccines to improve the immunity in the colostrum.

Cd&T. Protection against tetenus which goats do get fairly often and usually die from. Clostridials which are really hard to do anything about when they get them. Never had a case of either but maybe my "luck" will change tomorrow?

Someone will have to explain this better than I can. But I believe we can give vaccines IM instead of sub q. This hides the lump from the vaccine. Or you can just always use the same armpit to give them sub q. In meat animals IM are not good. Neck muscles are supposed to be a good place for IM shots. In small animals use 1/2 inch needle. In show animals sub q are not so good. Avoid the back leg area.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

It is Kaye who uses the separate CD and tetanus so if she doesn't get on here and tell you what to order then send her a pm but remember she has a show this week end so may or may not answer right away

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I've been pretty happy with the BarVac CDT combo...but I don't seperate the vaccines. I don't know as that would help with vaccine abscesses though...if that's what you are referring to. I've started giving mine IM because of that.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

In all the years which is abt 10 here I have give Bar vac CD/T and sq and had one knot on my first shot never have had one since. part of the problem sq I think is that you get between the layers of skin and not underneath it. JMO

6. Anita Martin

All of my goats had knots this year. I want to booster before we go to a show in October, so was hoping to avoid those again. It may well be the way I am giving it. I give the shots in the armpit area. Would Pulling the skin out further help avoid getting between the layers of skin? I'm not even sure I can do that, but I'll try it on the four that I will not be showing first.
    Thanks

7. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Anita I got knots the first year too. Then I had the vet show me and since then I've done pretty good. Only one knot this season, as Demi John is a booger and won't hold still. Tammy

8. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I never give goats shots IM unless I absolutely have it. I would rather have a knot under the skin than down in the muscle.
    I give all their shots in the same place on each animal over the ribcage. That way if I get a knot, I know what it is. And since there are no lymphnodes there I do not have to worry so much about people panicking if they see one.
    The worst knot I ever got on a doe was from a Bo-Se shot in the arm pit. It looked really bad.
    I have never had an abcess from the shot, but have had swelled or thickened like places that go away in a few days.
    My vet thinks it is from the tetanus part of the vaccine. I always get knots from Bo-Se for some reason. Not so much when I used the horse one, can't think of the name right off hand, E-Se maybe? You use much less though.
    I swear by Lysignin. I use J-Vac also for e-coli.
    Be careful giving dairy goats shots in the neck. They just do not have enough muscle there and it is easy to damage a nerve. Ask me how I know...
    Les

9. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

In the neck muscle there is a triangular area which is essentially just muscle. (Hard to explain but maybe I can find a diagram.) If you stay away from the top part and stay away from the bottom you will be fine. All essential things are found towards the bottom of the neck; trachea, jugular and major blood vessels.

All the vaccinaters in my club use the neck muscle. If they get lumps, they are not very large. ( Pea or nickle sized and no big deal to cut it out of the muscle if you are butchering.)

If they do sub q they only use one side of the animal, and it's in the armpit. Not up on the rib cage where a lump is going to look ugly.

Maybe your needle was too long or you didn't do it in the right area, Les.

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It is not recommended to give IM neck injections in goats. I strongly discourage it. Goats simply do not have enough muscle mass.

SQ injections can be given low on the ribcage, about 3 ribs from the rear of the goat. Like Les said, there are no lymphnodes there and it is obvious it is an injection lump if anyone notices.

Some injections swell terribly regardless of technique and if you gave it in the armpit you are going to have a goat that is in pain/uncomfortable when it walks.

JMO,
    Sara

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I use the muscle of the rear leg in kids and the thurl in adults....there is a lump (granuloma) in there you just can't feel or see it.

In the wether and buck we did the necropsies on when my daughters were in 4H, to see if we could see the smaller urethera in the wether brother....we also checked for the granuloma also, it was there. Vicki

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

That's exactly what I do for CDT injections.

Sara

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

and that is just way above my head :/

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The muscle in the backrump of the goat that disappears before she kids. It's well formed in Nubians and LaManchas....well maybe I should say it's well formed in my girls :) Vicki

15. Anita Martin

I'm not sure my alpines have that "thurl". I'll look tomorrow. I've never gave injections in the neck. I usually just use behind the front let, with a one-inch needle, a size 18 I think. No one has ever been lame at all, just a little lumpy. The bo-se goes away in a day or two, the CDT stayed around much longer.

One more questions. On the bottles of vaccine I got from the feed store, it said to use the entire contents at one time. Do all vaccine labels say this, and is it a must? I'd love to be able to just pull one out when I need it, and not waste a whole bottle if I just need a couple.
    Thanks
    Anita

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I reuse and think most everyone does also with CD/T I use a 22 needle and I prefer 1/2 in but will use 3/4 but that is just me.

17. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I use a 20 gauge, 3/4" needle...works great for me but like Sondra says everyone is different, some folks use only 18's.

I don't reuse vaccine bottles, but usually when I vaccinate I use nearly a whole bottle and then won't need it again for a couple months.

18. coso

coso Guest

I give in the thurl also on my does. But I did give a buck Naxcel one time IM in the neck in the triangle that we are talking about. Not a problem. I use the 18 3/4 inch for most everything.