vaccinations for kids without colostrum immunites.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Apr 23, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I had this on another thread but I'm posting a new one so it get seen.

As I had suspected, Vicki let me know that my kids that had colostrum powder because I messed up the colostrum heat treating it do not have the immunities needed.

So now I know they need 2cc cd&T now, then boosters 3 more times 30 days apart right? What other vaccinations should they get?

Also should they start corrid earlier because they do not have the cocci immunites?

thanks!

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I thought it was 1/2 cc of BoSe now and wait for the CD&T until they are about 21 days. Then treat again 21 days past that with another CD&T ??? At least that is my understanding.

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I believe that is if they have immunities from colostrum. Mine did not get the real thing from my vaccinated does so they do not have these immunities.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You know this is one of those things I don't talk about on open forum but I have used vaccines orally at birth, I know Kaye uses an ecoli vaccine orally, and I know my vet will tell you to give parvo orally to pups when the dam can't nurse them and goat colostrum has no immunity to Parvo, the number one killer of pups in my area. So since they are no longer newborn, why not just start their CD&T vaccinations now? 2cc subq another in 21 days with another after they are 12 weeks old. We don't vaccinate early because it ruins maternal antibody we work so hard on with our colostrum.

I would also give dairy does lysigin as virgin does and when you can realistically give them a 5cc shot. And think about vaccinating for pasturella pnemonia. If the goats stay local perhaps do these shots for them, using the rest of them on your oldest does so they kid with excellent colostrum for you next year that you won't ruin heat treating! Vicki

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

OK, So I will give these two Thier CD&T shots today and send with instructions for a 21 day booster and a 3 months booster

The reference to lysigin is for virgin does given one month prior to breeding, correct?

Pneumonia, I don't have that one on hand, but will give them a reference.

These goats will be with other young kids, 2 that are about 1 month old at present. Corrid Or sulfa right away? Worming at 20 days with Cydectin still?

6. Rose

Rose New Member

I vaccinated my doelings with Lysigin. And a booster. I hope I got that right. Vicki???

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

When your kids are getting colostrum from unvaccinated does Rose, than yes vaccinating early before staph can multiply in the goat is smart. I do my vaccinations much later because not only do I test for subclinical staph but I have vaccinated for years and use this colostrum on my kids.

Same with pnemonia, not only has one of my does gotton over a virulant form of pasteurella and lived to tell the tale, I also vaccinate my herd, so her colostrum and the vaccinated does (who didn't
    'catch' this highly contagious form of pnemonia) colostrum are used on all the kids. So being able to vaccinate young (and a tiny kid can't take alot of vaccines because of the shear volume of it) or even better is to do like Kaye does and use your tetanus and your C&D as seperate vaccines. vicki

8. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

kids are gone. I gave them their CD&T shot today. Sent instructions about CD&T boosters, pneumonia, and cocci prevention. I told them to start sulmet as soon as the kids were out with the other goats. I didn't get to read Vicki's post about early lysigin until after they were gone.

Hope it all works out.