Vaccination question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I'm wondering how best to best do shots for immunity in the does colostrum and for my herd. I've given the C D & T shots to my herd before, however then fell on the do not vacc. band wagon-long story. So now i have decided i DO want to give my herd C,D & T as well as pasteurella ( any other reccomendations ? ). My herd is mostly new and young now, my goatlings i bought this year have had their kid shots by the breeders ( 2 just C,D&T, one had that and past. ), my homebred kids have had nothing yet ( besides cocci prevention and worming - i gave tetnus to ones i banded/sold ), and i have a newer 7yr old doe that i'm not sure when and what she has had. I was planning on using the doe that i just sold to my next door neighbor/friend for her colostrum, as i have owned her the longest ( 3 yrs - she will be a 4yr old 3rd freshner ) - but just sold her, however i'm sure i could still give her the right shots and use her colostrum if i needed/wanted to.

But my question is this, all my girls are now bred ( i know i should have done this before breeding ), so is it safe to give them these shots ? They were bred in Oct. and Nov. so aren't too far along. When would i want to give them their boosters ? And then since i plan to vacc. from here on out, when would i be giving them their yearly shots ? When would i vacc. kids that are born then ? Thanks !

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

personally I would vaccinate all of them when 3 months pg with a series of 3 shots for the cd/t and then again a couple weeks before freshing with a booster. From then on give the booster 30 days prior to breeding and 30 days to 2 wks prior to freshening Sorry can't help with the pasturella as I haven't used it yet.

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Sondra - so wait till they are 3 months along, then give them 3 series of CDT - how far apart ? Then one more ( so the 4th shot ) 2 weeks before due ? Will this give the kids enough immunity for disbudding/banding as well ? Thanks again !

4. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Spacing for CD/T is 21 to 28 days apart, I believe. Can't answer the rest, but look forward to hearing what you find out on pasteurella.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

hopefully Kaye of Vicki will see this tonight and comment CD/T is 21 days apart

6. Would the pasteurella vaccine be a good idea to give to goats that are being shown?

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you have due dates, count back 3 weeks from the due date and put on calander shot number 2, then count back 21 days more and put shot number 1. Now don't miss those days. Make sure you purchase the pasteurella shot for goats and use it just on the older doe you will use her colostrum from. Say you are figuring that you have 3 goats having kids, take 9 bottles, and even if all you can do is fill them with 1 or 2 inches of her first 12 hour colostrum...a milking as she kids and a milking before she is 12 hours fresh, that is enough. Then use the colostrum you have. Even this tiny inocculation of older does colostrum, especially ones vaccinated or who have been ill before, will so improve the immunity of your kids. Then vaccinate the herd for pasteurella in the spring before show season. Vicki

9. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Vicki - that helps a lot. I have a quick question though - i've only seen the past. shots for sheep and cows, does Jeffers have the right one ?

10. Pasteurella Vaccine
    Mannheimia Haemolytica-Pasteurella Multocida Bacterin
    (Colorado Serum) For vaccination of healthy goats, sheep and cattle as an aid in the prevention of pneumonia caused by Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida. Inject 2 ml SQ and repeat in 2-4 weeks. 21-day slaughter withdrawal.

Says that on jeffers. :)

11. You're welcome. :)