Using Vanilla bean to flavor ice cream

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by kidsngarden, Jul 7, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I have vanilla beans. I want to use the pods to make vanilla or a vanilla infused oil for lotion bars. I read vicki reserves the seeds when doing this. I was hoping to use the reserved seeds in the ice cream. Anyone know where I should start on the amount to use? Should I still add my vanilla extract too?

Thanks!

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Vanilla Bean Goat Milk Ice Cream

Ingredients:
    2 vanilla beans
    4 cups goat milk
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 large eggs

Preparation:
    With a knife halve vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape seeds into a large heavy saucepan and stir in pods, cream, milk, and sugar. Bring mixture just to a boil, stirring occasionally, and remove pan from heat.
    In a large bowl lightly beat eggs. Add hot cream mixture to eggs in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into pan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170°F. (Do not let boil.) Pour custard through a sieve into a clean bowl and cool. Chill custard, its surface covered with wax paper, at least 3 hours, or until cold, and up to 1 day.
    Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker, in 2 batches if necessary. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week ahead.