using Recover

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hi,
    I got a syringe of "recover" from my vet. She recommended it for a shock reaction to a vaccination. She put the dosage on my syringe, but I was wondering if anyone can give me their experience with using it. I've never had a reaction from a vaccination and hope to never have it happen, but I want to be prepared. Also, are there any other times when this drug might be used, such as trauma, severe bee stings, etc?
    Thanks,
    Anita

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What is the active ingredient? Vicki

3. Anita Martin

I have no idea! I'll have to find out. I wanted to get a bottle, but she only had this big huge thing that I would never use, so I got a syringe full that would be enough for a horse if necessary or three goats.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

RE-COVR® INJECTION
    Fort Dodge
    TRIPELENNAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE INJECTION
    20 mg/mL

I don't think these two drugs are related and I don't think I'd use the re-covr for anaphylactic shock. But...I'm not a vet and maybe she thinks it will work.???

Hhmmmm...sounds like the side effects are pretty bad. I've heard of using it with debilitated goats but at very small doses...where you wouldn't even use epi.
    Kaye

5. Anita Martin

Yikes. Yes, she did warn me not to use it in an IV. I told her what I wanted it for, and this is the drug she suggested. I'm just praying I'll never have to use it, but one never knows. Maybe I can get some of the Epi too. I guess this drug is something new.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Re-covr is not a new drug, it just wasn't dispensed in the clinics...only used in-clinic.
    Kaye

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I used Recover once on a goat...and never will again. I gave it IM, and within 10 minutes the doe was foaming at the mouth, staggering to the point of falling off the milking stand. It was several years ago so I don't remember the dose I used, but I remember being scared to death she was going to die on me. She was over it within an hour or so, but still.

8. Anita Martin

Would you all suggest using the epi on a goat with a vaccine reaction then, or something else....or just wait and hope for the best?
    Anita

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would only use epi have never had to as yet.

10. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

It isn't anything you'll ever forget. Scares the dickens out of you.
    Goat and human both stand shaking.

Trisha

11. Anita Martin

It's something I know will scare the crud out of me. I don't do real well with those types of things, but I do all my own vaccinations on all the animals, dogs, cats, horses, goats....I haven't had to do the chickens yet. I assume I will at one time or another have a reaction and hope to not lose an animal when it does happen. The goats are the only ones who get regular vaccinations. For the other animals, I do not do them yearly. I've got clients who test titers on their horses and dogs every year and some of them, such as rabies, last much longer than the vets tell us they will. Had a cat die of cancer from a vaccine injection. I even had the vet that put her down tell me that the vaccines last longer than just one year and told me under the table that they probably did not need done every year. So, since the goats are the ones who get the most vaccines and injections, I'm more concerened that they will have a shock reaction at some point.

12. I've had to use epinephrine twice for anaphylactic reactions. Both does were down and nearly dead within minutes of receiving a vaccination. The epi worked one time and one time the doe did not survive.
    I will never be without epinephrine but I'm fortunate to have a vet that will give me just about anything.
    Becky

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

epinephrine, what is it's life in the fridge as long as it's clear and not cloudy or spiderweby it's still good right? I wish I would have known 10 years ago, all the things we couldn't buy, in the near future do to new regs. I'ld of stocked up on epy, iodine,

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah what is everyone going to do when our hoarded iodine is used up? I have a couple more years on the iodine I have gotten in two sell outs of local herds this last year. But I do covet it, not using it anymore for anything even getting coopertox to use on feet when I get too short. Iodine is for kidding season only. Vicki