Using oil on grain?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by prairiecomforts, Jan 10, 2008.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

Question for those of you who are using oil on grain rations: What kind of oil do you use and how much to you put on your grain? Do you put on just enough to coat all the grain right before feeding? I need to add some fat in my ration over winter - usually do it with BOSS - but dad didn't raise much this year and from the store is so expensive - so I am checking out different possibilities.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I started last year on the milkstand, about a teaspoon then slowly two two, never could get to a full tablespoon per doe on the milkstand without too much plop to their poop :) Once the girls were dry I got some rice bran 13% fat and 13% protein, I put it over their alfalfa pellets.

I also used to use oil to stick the AC to my bucks grain, about 3 tablespoons so I could put the AC on the oil and swish the bucket to distribuate it and stick it to the grain. Worked great.

I have used soybean oil and sunflower oil on the does, corn oil on the bucks. Vicki

3. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Vicki, what kind of rice bran are you using?
    Our bag's label says Crude Protein Min 13.00 % and Crude Fat Min 20.00 %

4. NubianSoaps.com

From a mill in Texas my feed dealer uses, it comes in non discript brown bags. It's called 13-13 here.....like 50-50 is 50% cottonseed meal and 50% cottonseed hulls. Trying to get our oats from them this year. Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

COTTENSEED ? thought you said Rice Bran

6. NubianSoaps.com

Sorry...the mill that my guy uses calls Rice Bran 13/13 for it's protein and fat. Just like they call cottonseed hulls and meal, 50/50 for it's 50% of each in it. So I know that the Rice Bran must always have 13 protein and 13 fat or they would call it 13/20 :)

Tonight is my Friday night, and 3 days off! Finally! Vicki

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I started using corn oil on my girls milkstand grain after Vicki telling about on the forum here. I used it last milking season. Like some here, I put the corn oil in a squeeze bottle and keep it next to the milkstand. I just squirt some over their grain, without measuring, a good squire for each doe. Mine get way more than Vicki's, I guess I was heavy handed, mine probably got close to a 1/8 cup. No loose or clumpy stools ever...maybe breed, region or other dietary differences.

8. Just curious, what did you see different with your does after you started using Corn oil?

(This is the first time I have heard of using corn oil in goat grain.)

Thanks!

9. NubianSoaps.com

What I am hoping for is no change ;) I simply can't justify the price of BOSS, so moving from high fat Boss to just oil was what I chose to do. Really how I will know will be at the first shave off of the year, the does will be sleek and shiney, or dull and rough, here it's about dietary fat. Vicki

10. Thanks!

BOSS is expensive. That is why I quit feeding it.

11. LMonty

LMonty New Member

How much BOSS do you guys use, that it comes to that much extra? I'm just curious. I have 50 lbs in a 1000 lb feed mix, its maybe 6-7 dollars more (for the half ton order, or about .35 cent a 50 lb bag) than if I just used oats for that 50 lbs. By the time you buy oil, does it really save you that much more?

12. NubianSoaps.com

I have 50 lbs in a 1000 lb feed mix

Does that amount increase the fat to 5% in the diet? That is my goal, to increase the fat to 5%. I'ts super cheap with the rice bran. Vicki

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use 25 lbs BOSS to 50lbs of oats and 50lbs barley

14. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

What kind of oils are good to use?? I used to put oil on my show rabbits' food but it never even crossed my mind to do it with a goat. Sounds like I good idea though!!LOL I just used plain ol' veggie oil for the bunnies but that is not a very pure oil. I have olive oil? Or should I look into something else? I also was giving black oil sunflower seeds over the summer when I was milking. Which is better? I have never used BOSS and considering you guys all say it is expensive I probably never will!!LOL
    Thanks
    Patina

15. NubianSoaps.com

Hi Patina...Black Oil Sunflower Seeds is BOSS. With just a few goats, and I will be back to that in the spring:) BOSS is wonderful, it is especially good for kids.

No, all oils are not pure, and there is alot of talk that most Olive oil is cut with soybean oil. I soap so I was just using my sunflower oil, I go through it quickly so I didn't have to worry about it being rancid. Do know that this is just to raise fat, and to start using it slowly, probably alot like in rabbitts, too much and you will have diarrhea. Plus in our goats they have soo much bacteria changes with different feed stuffs you just don't want to change anything quickly or add soo much oil you smoother the rumen bugs. Vicki

16. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

"boss". *Snort* that is funny. I usually am pretty good at abbreviation's but I thought I read a different use of BOSS somewhere else so didnt put 2x2 together.. BUT thats just me!LOL
    I was mostly just curious if any off the oils were worse to use than the other or shouldnt be used. Some one earlier mentioned they just squirted some across the top of their grain, that is how I did it with the bunnies and figured if I use oil for the goats that would be it too.
    Thanks for the education!!LOL
    Patina

17. NubianSoaps.com

Patina, nobody is as bad as me at not getting it :) My brin simply doesn't work that way, I can't text to save my life. Vicki

18. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:really Dad Blast It!! I just bought my last bag of BOSS two weeks ago...it's went from $14.00/50 to $19 a bag...but the kicker here...we keep rice bran for the horses!(13-13) It's been used for the last two years and it never dawned on me to add it to the does ration.(where's that rolly eyes emotion!)

I started it SLOWLY about two nights ago...the girls went berzerk over it! Where there were 'fines' left in the bottom of trough...it's licked clean now! Now, I'll be curious about what's under the hair when I clip. If it does the same for skin as the BOSS.?? Oh,well, will know about Feb. 9, first dairy clip, then I will know if it's working. It's much cheaper than the BOSS. :lol
    Kaye

19. NubianSoaps.com

Kaye it also keeps my alfalfa pellet dust all licked up. Yep even my baby girls love the rice bran. How much are you going to feed per head eventually? Really my feeders look like they have been cleaned they lick up every bit. Vicki

20. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Could someone explain the details of rice bran. Cost? Where do you get it, what size bags (does it even come pre-bagged?), how do you feed it? Free choice eventually? Please speak slowly....Diane