Using Haylage

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Jun 7, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Anyone feed silage or haylage? We are looking into it as hay keeps going up, I do use some alfalfa pellets but they are pricey as well. It would be good quality, our neighbors have a cow dairy and would sell us some. The one downside I've found so far is that we'd have to get fresh from them every day. Anyone have experience with this?

2. trnubian

trnubian New Member

My friend feeds alfalfa haylage and her does do very very well on it. It's good stuff. You just have to make sure it is wrapped correctly so it dosen't spoil. Also you need to feed the entire bale within a short ammount of time before it goes bad. That to me is the only downfall to it.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

HEY...Congratulations on the new baby!!!

I tried to use silage years ago and the one problem I found with it was mold. But if you have a fresh source or some way to get it fresh and use it up fast...then I don't see a problem with it. Also the fact you are in the North and not nearly so humid as here...it might keep longer.

My experience with it was a bust...but with your cow dairies it might just work!
    Kaye

4. Haylage is...wet hay that is put up in a bale and ensilage to make a wet feed. But, it can also be loose and blown into a silo or bunker silo.

The last point is what I would want to know. What type of storage was used. In upright silos then it would be fine....bunkers...you are going to get some mold. In bales...you better feed it FAST

ken in MO

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

They pack it in bunkers. We would have to stop by there and pick it up daily in buckets or something. It seems to be a cheaper alternative to hay or pellets, at least in this area.

6. In a bunker type of storage...BE SURE you get to get it off the bottom. Middle is really the best, but most dont want to have holes in the middle. See what time they take off the Haylage for the mixer wagon and then see if you can get some during that time. The thing with Haylage is...is can mold fast in the heat of summer (above 75). Also make sure it cool to the touch, if you feel any heat, then its not good stuff. Also, when feeding haylage, make sure they have dry hay to eat also. Some of that stuff is RICH!!! But, just simple grass hay would work. Increase them a little at a time.

ken in Mo