Using Acorns for grain

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

We have a ton of really nice acorns this year. The cow is constantly under the trees eating them and I'm kinda thinking she might make herself sick. So I'm thinking about picking them up and then I could use them for grain for the goats later? Does anyone have a nutritional profile for acorns, I know they are supposed to be high in protein. Should they not be used for bucks?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NO I would not use acorns for grain. They can be toxic. do some research. Now that being said yes my goats eat acorns and oak leaves from time to time with no ill effects but I sure wouldn't use them to supplement diet.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I would never feed acorns as grain to goats. They can be poisonous if too many are consumed. Do some research.

Like Sondra, mine also eat oak leaves and a few acorns from time to time. However, neither would ever be supplemented as a portion of their grain.

Sorry Ashley, but if I had to resort to feeding like this then that means I have too many animals and it's time to cut down on the number of mouths to be fed.

Sara

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I never said I had to, I just like to be efficient. If I'm going to have to pick these up to keep the cow from ODing, would like to use them for something as well.

My understanding was excessive acorns were toxic, but in moderation were just fine. Any rich food will make them sick if they get too much. I will look it up and read on it again. It's been a while. I think it was the tannins?

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Oh thanks for the link Sondra.

7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

This is talking about a diet 50% in acorns causing problems. I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see how a little bit of acorns can hurt them. So many people have goats that are out and eat them this time of year. Mine eat a few on their walks.

And, I'm sorry, I realize my first post I made it sound like I might use them for the entire grain ration, I didn't mean that, but rather to add some to their oats so the acorns don't go to waste and up the protein a little. Deer are ruminants and they eat a lot of them this time of year to fatten for winter. A good acorn crop is always seen as a good thing for the deer.

But that cow is under those trees constantly, so think I need to get them out of there. She was so obsessed with them this morning, she wouldn't come for her alfalfa hay :really

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I used to have a recipe book, that told how to make acorn flour. Look it up to be sure if youre interested. Take a bucket of acorns, soak them in water, here's the foggy part I can't remember if its overnite? rinse, soak again, 2 - 3 times, this leaches out the tannin. after drying grind as needed into flour. I don't think it would hurt the livestock to have an acorn or two every once in a while.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes and I would use them in a minute to eat myself but there are things you have to do to them in order to do that. However NO WAY am I going to take a chance of gathering up acorns and feeding them to my goats. Just in my opinion it is taking a chance and my goats are worth more to me than that. Not in anyway meaning to be rude but would you go out and gather up tomatoes /squash/potatoes extra and feed them to your goats? Would you not give CD/T shots on the off chance they won't get tetnus or that it doesn't necessarily protect against entro in all cases? Of course this is all my opinion and if you want to take this chance then I hope it works for you.

10. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

My goats eat oak leaves and acorns all day all year long. Their browse is 8 acres of oak woods. I don't gather the acorns for them, they find them themselves, but the acorns haven't had any adverse effects on them that I can tell.

Tiffany

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I know Tiffany and my goats do to but gathering and giving them to goats is a whole different story. Think abt it your goats are well fed they go out to browse, now just how many acorns to you think they actually pick up and eat. They will eat the leaves all day long but only pick at the acorns, I know because when I first got goats I was so worried they would eat them I went out and sat and watched. That was after I initially raked them all up so the goats wouldn't eat them. I only have two trees so it wasn't all that hard to do, but I got tired of it every morning. So I sat and watched.

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I'm gonna throw this in just for the heck of it.

When it comes to what a deer eats. I guess I've gutted about as many as anybody, and I almost always check to see what they've been eating lately. I really don't believe that I've ever seen over about 25% acorns in the rumin. It's always mixed in with lots of other twigs, leaves, grass, honeysuckle....and other stuff.

As long as my goats eat the acorns out from under my trees in a very "natural" way (meaning that they are eating other junk too) , then I don't worry about them at all.

I have my doubts that a handful of acorns mixed in with a gallon of "goat feed" is going to hurt them.....but I'd sure be careful with this whole idea if I did.

JMO ....Whim

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Mine eat a few on their walks.

This is the difference, we likely have a thousand oaks minimum here, and the goats eat leaves, downed trees, although we got alot of them out of the pastures up by the barns quickly because it was way over the top too much for them to have, and they eat acorns this time of year when they fall. But they also go out into browse that also contains more pine than oaks and lots of other brush and tall grasses to choose from. I don't keep my goats from eating anything, but I also don't choose forage that is high in tannins to take to my goats to eat.

The Mormon religion doesn't believe in ingesting tannins, and if you read why, although some has been the reason I am sure our worm burdens are nill to none most of the time...but overdone, it does give you a very good reason to limit the amount in our animals but certainly in us (single stomached animals).

Moderation is key...just because I live in the piney woods of east Texas I also am very careful about the free christmas trees I can get to feed, they are species of pines my goats are not used to. vicki

14. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

My goats have eaten acorns for years. Their lot is partly an oak woods lot. There are a lot of acorns and they search them out. There are red and white oak trees, mostly red, I would guess.
    They have never hurt them. At times I have noticed a darker poo. But, no problems.
    Now, back when I deer hunted alot (1970s-1990). I also checked their stomach contents. When there were crops nearby they would have a good amount of corn and soybeans. But, there were always a huge amount of acorns, mostly white oak and honeysuckle. I am sure it would vary by region of the country and what is available for them to eat.
    Les

15. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I'll tell you, my goats, the last couple walks we went on, I have to urge them to move, they will start eating the acorns and I've been afraid they would eat too many. I think they would eat a lot if I let them. Their pen they stay in does not have any oak trees, so they have no access unless I feed them a few, or take them out on a walk.

16. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

Our pasture/browse are contains two monster Oaks, and in my 22 years of living here I have never seen a single acorn fall from them. I don't worry about Acorns because of this, and it may be irrelevant, but anyone know why our two do not produce? Do only certain gender trees produce acorns? These are huge multi trunk trees, with tops at least 80'.

Kelly :)

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

depends on the type of oak I think

WRONG!! see below

18. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I heard, that it takes oaks many, many yrs to start producing acorns. I don't remember how many yrs but remember being shocked at the amount of yrs it takes.

Wendy

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Wendy you are so smart!!

20. coso

coso Guest

I had some doelings in a pen with some huge oak trees one year that were dropping tons of acorns. My wife called me at work and said one of the doelings was bloated bad. By the time I got home she was dead. I blamed the acorns, could have been something else I guess, but that was the only thing that had changed and they were eating the crap out of them. :shrug2 Having said that my does eat them all the time too. Too many oaks around the place to restrict them and I have never had any trouble with them. I know when we had hogs they used to eat them like crazy too. But I remember dad saying they would dry a sow up if they ate too many. :/