Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

URGENT HELP NEEDED.........fully formed, dead kid

4K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  pokyone42 
#1 ·
Hello.
One of our second fresheners twinned today, right on her due date... first large 9-10 pound doe kid was born dead, and starting to decompose. :( YUCK! It was still in one piece.. fully formed, hair teeth, etc...so I am assuming it was not dead for very long... like maybe a few days... second doe kid was also 9-10 pounds, and PERFECT, and ALIVE! (phew)

The stuff that came out of mama goat with and after the first kid is gross. Dark brown goo and just some disgusting slop.

I plan on flushing mom's uterus with the oxytetracycline and sterile water solution as soon as she cleans, and also giving her the injections of oxytet for a few days...probiotics, vitamin B complex. As this is our first kid ever born like this, is there anything else we should do for mom? SHe seems to be fine at the moment, but only gave birth about 2 hours ago.
Also, I am assuming that because kid number 2 was totally contained in her own amniotic sac, that she should be fine... Am I right? Or does this little girlie need treating, too? Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Re: fully formed, dead kid

Thanks guys... yes, it was very sad... I am assuming one of the barn witches rammed poor mild-mannered Elliot a few days ago and killed the baby.. (we have Boer crosses and Alpines, and the 2 older Alpines are the queen and princess of the barn, and let everyone else know it constantly.... :? The Boer/Alpines seem to be pretty mellow, compared, and Elliot is a VERY mild Boer/Alpine... the sweetest kindest doe we have... poor honey.)

We were very sad after the first birth, as we have been hoping and praying for a doeling out of this girl, as little Emmylou needs a playmate... (she has been our house-goat for 2 1/2 weeks, and is getting to be a handful!. lol)

We were SO happy to see that second baby girl that both hubby and I cried... :blush And this kid is strong and seems very healthy! Oh, and we are trying to think of a special name for her, because she is so lucky to be alive! (Her name cannot be lucky, tho, as I once had a duck named Lucky, and he drowned in my pond, believe it or not.) So, any suggestions on naming her? She is mostly Boer, with a hint of Alpine... brown head, white blaze, white body, long ears, and alpine eye stripes... :) Thanks!

Anyway, off to treat mama-goat...... been kinda waiting a bit, to see if there is anything else I should do for her. I have electrolytes and lactated ringers in case she gets bad.. hoping for the best tho, and that the things I mentioned above do it... Thanks again...

#5 ·

with my *bones* birth... pen g was advised sub q also... and watch temp

#6 ·

Fortune
Destiny
Providence
Grace

#7 ·

Sorry you lost you loeling...I had 1 do that this summer...the buckling was born decomposing and the doeling was just fine...Mom cleaned out great and I went ahead and gave her 5 days of Biomycin and never did see anything of a problem...She took a really hard hit about a week before and it knocked her down and rolled her over. I figured this is what happened to the buckling. It was awful to see and clean up.When he arrived she didnt even try to clean him and just went to work having the doeling and tending to her. Sorry this happened...

#8 ·

okay... we just finished chores, and the new mom passed a healthy placenta, however, the nasty stuff from the first kid is still hanging out and dragging on the ground. First kid was born around 1 pm... it is now 5:30 pm. I did not flush the uterus yet, as am waiting for her to clean the rest of the way. Milked her twice, hoping that will help her to expell that junk. Do I flush her anyways?
If she is not clean by morning, I plan to call the vet, as I think that would be the right time for Lute, right? (I have never used it.) Thank you

#9 ·

We had this happen a few years ago. Blossom gave birth to a healthy doeling and then seemed to be having trouble. When we checked her, something felt wrong, so we took her to the vet. He pulled out a decomposing buckling with goo and then delivered another live doeling. He cleaned her out a bit and then gave her a Nolvasan bolus and prescribed Biomycin. He didn't give her any lute. She did just fine, as did her doelings. She's still around as is that second doe kid who is now a large and almost 3 year old milker. I sold the other kid. I didn't have to treat either of the kids.

#10 ·

"He cleaned her out a bit and then gave her a Nolvasan bolus and prescribed Biomycin."

What do you mean that "he cleaned her out a bit?" Had she passed the placentas? Did he flush her? I am just worried, as this **** is still hanging and dragging about 3 feet behind her... I DID give her first injection of Agrimycin... (oxytetracycline) I am worried tho, as usually the does clean fairly quickly... I am prepared to give her a uterine flush, and I also have boluses..am wondering... thanks

#12 ·

didn't Vickie say she'll go in and that sometimes helps them clean... ???

#13 ·
#14 ·

thank you......... am going to go check on her again.. hoping the placenta from dead kid passed by now...... if not, we are prepared.... (deep breath. lol) POOR ELLIOT! (she was our first-born kid here on Hann-yauk Hill.... a very special gal........)

#16 ·

Okay....... I am taking some deep breaths here.. I have gone in before, but is always scary.......... (only twice, and those were for difficult but LIVE births.)

I was SO hoping that this doe would have cleaned by now, but she hasn't, and it is now going on 8:30 pm........would you recommend the uterine flush? a bolus? or to just feel around in there being careful not to pull on the placenta? And if there is not another kid in there dead... then what do I do?

#18 ·
it is now, almost 9 pm, and I am VERY worried about our Elliot.......
I am going to go in, and see if there is another dead kid.........ugh.........
If everything seems okay, I think I will Bolus her..........(as the rotten placenta is still hanging there.) If it passes, (with luck,) then we will flush her with oxytet.............POOR ELLIOT!.............. I try not to get emotional about our ladies, but they are NOT just livestock..... they are our friends...........thank you for your help............I will let you know what happens......... (Fingers crossed.)

#20 ·
I am still waiting for any more advice, as once I go in, I am not sure what to look for......other than a dead kid....and I am not sure what to do after............. other than flushing her uterus.........and the other steps I mentioned............ (PASS THAT ROTTEN PLACENTA, ELLIOT, PLEASE!)

#21 ·
checking in... I'd go prepared to rub (wash) the inside with oxytet... as Vickie advised me with our doe with bones....

use a glove and squirt the oxytet into the palm... took me 3 rounds to get in the amount Vickie recommended...

don't pull, but rub...

only concern is how closed she might be by now....

#22 ·
#23 ·
What my vet did, was after he had pulled the kids and made sure there were no more, he went in with his gloved hand and carefully removed some of the gunk from her. This is something I would probably be scared to do. He's a vet and the goat was in a hospital. She still had not passed all of her placenta, but he put in the Nolvasan bolus.
After a difficult birth, goats sometimes take a while to pass all of their afterbirth and it hangs from them. We sometimes tie it up to give it some weight and so another goat doesn't step on it. I've given oxytocin to a goat to help her pass it. Some goats have taken 24 hours to do so and have not suffered any ill consequences. The important thing is not to pull it out as that could cause uterine damage and possible hemmorage. When I check for more kids, I go in gently and try to feel for a kid. If all I feel is lumpy stuff that doesn't feel like baby parts, she's finished kidding.

#24 ·
okay...... we did that........ we went in,,,,,,, and there was nothing but lumpy stuff........ I would think she is done....... the placenta garbage from kid number one, broke off in the process............ Talk about a train wreck! I AM A TRAIN wreck! lol............mama goat seems to be doing okay at this point...........

#25 ·
we flushed mama's uterus with oxytetracycline and sterile water........ hoping for the best now.......... time to tend to her kid at this point, who seems to be GREAT! :) Thank you so much! Any other suggesstions would be welcomed! We are TIRED!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.