Updates for Amy and Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MysticHollowGoats, Nov 28, 2007.

1. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

This is the doe that is still alive after the dog attack, other info is in the "If a doe was aborting" topic.

Well she made it thru the night, I woke up twice last night and gave her more water, ibuprofen and offered her hay and alfalfa pellets which she refused. I am trying to keep her covered as she was shivering all yesterday and of course we are having freezing temps..need to sew some buttons or something on her blanket to keep it on her. We do have a heat lamp going for her which makes me nervous but I will be going down at least once an hour to give her water and offer food.

This morning was a bit more hopeful, she was standing and holding her head up on her own when I went down. Drank about 20 ml of warm water, ate about 1/8th cup of alfalfa pellets and a good big bite of hay. Also a 1/4 of a fig newton which had the ibuprofen hidden in it.

I'm thinking I should give her some probiotic or yogurt soon to counteract the Nuflor. Which one would be better and should I give it to her today or wait.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Can't help you but put this question in your original post as no one is seeing this.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I would think either one or both would be just fine. I'd give it to her now as it won't hurt and I'd think the sooner the better if she were mine.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

DUH thought you were asking abt nuflor. Any probiotic will help at anytime and can not hurt. You really need to get a hold of some banamin as ibuprofen just is not enough in my opinion. The chills.probably have a lot to do with shock

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm glad your goat is hanging in there. To bad the vet didn't give you more Banamine. I always keep a bottle on hand. Goats can die from pain. Probios and yogurt have about the same type of probiotics in them. Keep offering her warm water.

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Seeing how you are in Oregon....

IF your vet is reluctant to give you any more banamine, you could find a Naturopath and purchase some Arnica/Hypericum.
    Arnica is very good for trauma and speeding healing. The hypericum is very good for pain.

7. MysticHollowGoats

So far so good, all wounds are looking good and she is no longer shivering. She is drinking lots of water with power punch added to it. Had few bowel movements and urinated. We made a pen in my laundry room for her so things are cleaner while changing her bandages and such, also its just much easier on me not having to go down to the barn 12 times a day and lowers my stress level at night.
    The vet is back today and I will be going to get more banamine and probably some nuflor.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh that sounds good I would buy a bottle of banamine to have on hand.

9. MysticHollowGoats

Just talked with my vet and he will be out early this evening. He offered to bring out a bottle of banamine without me even asking...he is soo great =o)

I am worried that she has not wanted to eat since yesterday morning, can anyone suggest what would be tempting but also ok for her to eat. She will take a animal cracker all day long but that would not be very good for her.

10. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Mine love nothing more than fresh browse. Pine boughs especially.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

few corn chips /tiny bit of boss/pine or fresh greens if you have it around. even a tiny bit of parsley just to intice her. mainly tho if she is in pain she won't eat so getting the banamine will be great. and keep giving probiotics of course alfalfa hay would be the best all around food she could get right now.

12. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Have you only given her one shot of Nuflor? She needs to be on antibiotics for the dog bites. I would opt for Naxcel (1cc/50# twice a day for 2 days,then 1cc/50# once a day for 3 more days)or even Penn-G (I can't believe I'm saying that for something as serious as dog bites) 7cc/100#'s twice a day for 5-7 days) but some vets are not willing to dispense meds off lable. I would have to even go stronger if it was one of mine- Baytril 100mg.
    Getting the Banamine will help her immensely.

Since she will eat animal crackers....try something like bread. 3-4 slices of light bread has about the same carbs & calories as 1/2# grain (plus yeast). If you're willing to buy the whole grain even better. I believe when you get the pain lessened she will be willing to eat more. Keep hay and water in front of her.
    Kaye

13. MysticHollowGoats

Vet said the shot Nuflor is a 3 day one (fiascofarm says 3ml per 50 lbs every 4 days) and he is coming in 3 hours and she will get another dose.
    I was just in there and she ate about 1/4 cup sliced apples, 1 large corn chip in pieces and about 6 mouths full of hay. She also just drank about 2 cups of water while I was in there.

Her eyes are getting goopy and the vet said they are probably irritated from everything flying around during the attack and I could use some antibiotic ointment. Should I use terramycin, thats what I have here.

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The ointment you have is what I use on my goats and it seems to work just fine. I'm glad she has eaten some. Sometimes when my goats aren't feeling well, and aren't that interested in alfalfa, I can get them to eat some grass hay.

15. MysticHollowGoats

Vet said she is looking great for what has happened to her. Wounds all look good, no infections :D
    She got her next round of Nuflor and he left one more dose to give her on Sunday. Also got a tube of banamine paste, says its for horses and will treat 1000lbs of animal so I will have plenty left over. Her temp is still low but her color is good. His thermometer and mine read the same temp...I was happy to check that because I alway wonder on the digital ones accuracy.

She did sleep all night and seems kinda perky this morning!

I changed my avatar to her picture, that patch of gold on her cheek is totally gone, plus about another sq inch worth. Missed her eye by less than a 1/4 inch, puncture wounds barely missed her jugular and half an inch deeper and some would have punctured her trachea. She has been very lucky so far!

16. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

A dose of vitamin B or shot of thiamine will increase her appetite and can't hurt her...

17. MysticHollowGoats

:update Her temperature is back to normal and she is definatly eating much better since she has had pain relief :yes

18. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Wonderful, keep treating for stress and pain...

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh that is good to hear!! keep up the good work

20. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Vet said the shot Nuflor is a 3 day one (fiascofarm says 3ml per 50 lbs every 4 days)

This is of course horrible information. I love the whole idea of fiascofarm.com but her herbal and some of her dosages on very common drugs...it's just wrong. I don't know if she doesn't use them or simply has copied this down from another source, but her site could use a good proof reading.....from Kaye!!!! :)

I am so glad she is doing better, you will be very lucky with her antibiotic treatment that these wounds do not get infected, especially with the now goopy eyes.

Try to ask for meds now that you have a relationship with this vet to have on hand, buy the vials so you can use real dosages. Vicki