Update & Still More Questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Sep 3, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Here is the low-down: 2 - 18 mos. old does purchased, wormed with cydectin & valbazen, fecal done on one doe that had clumpty poop, high cocci, treated w/ corrid for 5 days. CAE test sent in, waiting on results. Feed 16% pellet feed with BOSS as a dressing, fc alfalfa, fc minerals, and timothy hay. I have been giving them 4cc each of red cell and they are doing great. Thriving and pinked eyed and gums. Milk has increased in quantity and they are loving life. CD&T has been given, actually their 21 days later is due tomorrow. The one is 85 lbs. now and the other around 100 lbs, I have trimmed their hooves, lots of clean water and pasture during the day. They are brought into a 12x12 stall at night. Questions: what next? Same rigamarole with the one amazing doe I bought. Her eyes are pink, but gums are not so much. I have wormed her with cydectin and given her initial CD&T. Have her quaranteed and running a CAE test on her. The lab they use at Clemson Univeristy does not do CL.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kinda depends on what you are planning to do now. on the new doe get fecal test done on her also .

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Is Clemson running Elissa CAE tests? Lots of labs still only run AGID for CAE and you don't want to use a lab that does this.

Sounds like you are doing fine. Do watch the fecals. Continue worming until you are going to breed them, but you shouldn't after the intial problems have to worry about cocci in full grown animals. Although they will have cocci on fecal it won't be in the thousands it needs to be for it to be a problem in the goats. Vicki

4. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

In the last fecal before starting the corrid (a week ago), there was no worms at all. He looked at two slides, so I think they are doing o.k. Making sure they are well fed, pinked up, and I plan to breed them, if all goes well, their next heat.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ok then making sure they have their shots all up to day wormed etc BoSe shots 30days prior to breeding and just the normal stuff prebreeding.

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Sondra, my vet will not give me BoSe script at all. He said we are in a non-selenium deficient area. I don't think that the goats have ever been given a Lysigin injection. What are your thoughts on that. As far as worming goes, can you worm too much? Vicki had said keep on the worming cycle until they are bred - is that in the 101 somewhere?

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Lysigin is a series of shots if they haven't had it before and is cheap insurance same as CD/T
    Worming you want to do also 30 days prior to breeding or close to it because you don't want to do any worming in the first trimester and yes you can worm too much so worm by doing fecal checks . I worm 30days prior to breeding . and day of freshening. and then only as needed by fecal cks

8. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

It took me almost a year to find a vet who would give me BoSe. Maybe you could try some vets outside your immediate area.