Update on sick goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by rg1950, Jul 26, 2008.

1. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

I treated our sick boer with corid last week and run a fecal today, as she is scouring. She was laying around looking dead. I walked up and had to pick her up. She is to weak to get up on her own. She will stay standing for a while after I get her up. She was born February 14th and has acted sickly since she was born. I have given her bo-se yesterday and today, and probios. She is not eating. Her fecal test looked good, no overload of cocci. I did see one liverfluke on the slide. I am wondering if she is suffering from copper deficiency, but I am out of copper...Anything I can substitute? I have been giving her techmaster complete, dumped by hand in her mouth today. Don't know if this will help her or not, but I can't give up. She has a twin who is big and strong. She is weak and small. Frail and bony. I don't know if she will make it, but I am trying my darndest. She is a registered SA Boer. Any other suggestions from anyone on what to try?

Tara

2. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

She is doing better this morning. Standing and walking on her own. I am giving her a handful of techmaster complete by mouth and it seems to be helping her, along with the bo-se and probios. I am keeping my fingers crossed til I can order and get some more copper in to bolus her with. (will do tomorrow). To all who read this, Do they sell copper in straight powder form for making your own capsules, or do I have to purchase it in capsulated and break it down (like the copasure capsules) and put it in my own empty capsules?

Tara

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It needs to be done the way we know, through testing works. Copasure boluses, broken down into smaller capsules and give by weight.

Although you could possibly see some deffiency symptoms in kids certainly nothing that could be life threatening like this.

Once you get passed the cocci and worm issues there isn't a whole lot healthy goats get at this age, other than pnemonia and you can see that an a thermometer.

Being unthrifty from birth...at some point in goating you do have to do things in your herd for the good of your herd as a whole. If you focus on one failing kid, especially during kidding season when you take your eye off the whole herd to save one infant..it actually weakens your herd as a whole. Kids like this rarely grow up to be anything but a hot house flower that catches everything. They are usually kids who got inadequate colostrum either too little or from a young dam. Not all goats are destined for breeding stock, and if she is too sick to butcher, put her down.

Everyone has to have their management for their own herd figured out, but when you said you won't give up...everyone should know when to. Will this doeling even if you pull her through this benefit the farm? Will she ever be sold for the output you have done on her? Does she bring your farm towards your goals. You obviously dont' have to answer these questions...just think about it. Vicki

4. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Well, sad news. The little boer died. I have been through this so many times before with these boer goats. She was born weak and I took care of her til she died. Don't know what was wrong, but I do know I treated her and doctored her and took care of since she was born and just did a fecal test yesterday, which looked good (a few cocci, but nothing that would kill her). Boers are so hard to raise in this area. That is why we are selling all but 4 adults of ours and moving to nubians.

Tara