update on milk fever doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Mar 8, 2008.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Her temperature is back up to 102.7 I gave her a 30 ml dose at 6 am, 2pm a son did and I gave her another at 7 pm tonight. plus vit b complex. I did milk out a little tonight maybe a lb. Do I dose her agian in the morning? and when do I start milking her, I do Not want her to relapse, and I've never dealt with this before. I'm thinking half in the morning see how she is temp wise Half at night. but I also need the milk :sigh when I called home to see if they had dosed her and how was she doing they said she tried to trample them :rofl she is one poed doe!

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol...a PO'ed doe is a good sign! for once.
    I'd keep a very close watch on the temp...and I usually don't milk them completely out until the temp. has stayed 102 or above for at least 3 days. Then as I milk...I watch the thigh muscles really close for any trembling. I'd treat her at least twice a day for the next two days with the CMPK. This is a watch and see type of treatment...but, it works. The most important sign is the temp. Take it before you milk and after. Little details are what keeps them going and brings them around.
    Kaye

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

thanks Kaye, the vet gave us No dosage, no treatment regimin, but at least he sold us the bottle. Doesn't hurt that he's our horse vet.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sounds like she is turning around for you Sherrie keep up the good work.