Update on Maria

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trnubian, Oct 6, 2008.

1. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I had Maria's bloody urine tested at the vet. There is not good news.
    She has a lot of red blood cells (because of the blood). There is no sign of infection at all. There are however a lot of crystals in her urine. The diagnosis is, she is full of stones. :(

I asked what can be done and they are very helpful vets I have a good relationship with them. They can't do anything there at the clinic. They have tried to before and it just dosen't work. I would have to send her to Purdue to have her looked at and then they would preform surgery on her to remove the stones from her bladder.

I asked the price range and there is just no way I can afford to do that. No way. And her being as old as she is now and not in the best condition anyway would make it harder.

I asked if she was in any pain right now and they say she is most likely irritated and uncomfortable but not in any real pain as of now. If we let it continue, her bladder could rupture or tear and form an infection from the constant irritation. Or if it goes on long enough it could become cancerous.

Our plan is now, they are working with me on alternatives. We are going to try to dose her with ammonium chloride for awhile and see if that helps. If it dosen't then we will just keep things as they are until she seems in pain or is weak and then I will have to put her down. :( Prognosis isn't looking good. I am sooo sad right now. I have called some people who will be ready to take wiski whenever I need them to. Once Maria goes I will give Wiski away and then that will be it. No more goats. Not for a long time anyway. I Love that goat and I know for some of you they are just a hobby or even maybe a living but she is me girl and always has been. I just wish I could help her more. :down

Thanks for letting me vent everyone.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't give up that AC may just do the trick also add Applecider vinegar to her water. cut back on her protien ie (grains) and feed alfalfa pellets and grass hay or alfalfa hay.

3. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I am so sorry. It was just a month or so ago that we got bad news on our old girl...we had her for about 5 days more after we heard about what was wrong.

Praying for you and she.

4. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Thank you guys. I'm not going to give up until I know somethings really wrong. I sure do hope this works, it would be a blessing.

Yes, she is getting only alfalfa hay now. I will have to cut her off from the round bale of grass hay as she likes to munch on that. But the vet said to not even give her access to it so she is just getting pure alfalfa hay and manna pro goat minerals.

5. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member