Update on downed wether and a question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by DostThouHaveMilk, Nov 21, 2007.

1. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

He didn't die.....oddly enough. lol I kept waiting for it. Hoping for it in some ways just so I could finally get some sleep.

So, last time I posted it was Saturday afternoon? Maybe. Anyways, we decided to treat him for Polio and Listeriosis, as well as just supportive care. His thiamine was upped, and we started dosing him with Pen G at high rates. One of Vicki's first reactions on the phone was Listeriosis. Through all of this he has never presented with a fever of any kind. Dad thinks we maybe are just not getting proper readings.
    He had his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth for two to three days (I would have to check my notes to be sure). He has not had his tongue stuck out the side of his mouth since Monday. He also stopped his constant drooling on Monday. On Monday he saw dad coming in with the needles and he crawled to the opposite side of the pen, dragged himself into a standing position, turned around and promptly fell over again...however, he had not stood since Thursday or Friday. He tried to stand late Friday evening when I was on the phone with Vicki.
    We have been giving him lactated ringers solution daily and we have been drenching him with milk (and milk replacer) as well. I have switched him over to LA200 shots once daily per vet instructions. She never saw him, but I told her what we thought it was. I was picking up more lactated ringers and she was in the office. He is still getting the Dex since I had already started him on that. He had Banamine for about three or four days. His poor body is riddled with holes from all the shots we gave. He was being treated every 4-6 hours for three days straight. We finally started spacing out the treatments yesterday....or was it the day before? I don't know. I had 5-6 hours of sleep for four mornings straight and it was one of the busiest weekends before he got sick.
    He drank water on his own for the first time today since last Thursday...Not much, but I was thrilled to see it. He is eating hay and holding his head more straight. He is moving around. He is laying out flat on a fairly regular basis but will sit propped up when I put him that way.
    It's still touch and go and I still go down fully prepared to find him dead each time. When you deal with this enough it is just part of it.
    But he hasn't died yet. lol
    I learned how to steal cud, too.
    Here I had been so pleased that we only ever lost the one goat to Listeriosis (back in 2001) and I had treated one other case for it early on. Oh well. With this many animals something is bound to happen.

The pictures below are of the kid. The first one was taken in September. He is 5/8 Boer. The second picture was taken Saturday. I was pretty sure we would lose him at that point. The last picture was taken this morning.

Thanks to those who gave me doses and advice.

He would be dead by now if dad had not stepped in and picked up the slack. He has done probably over half of the treatments at this point.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. DostThouHaveMilk

Re: Update on downed wether

When I went down at 4PM he was standing and eating his hay. He had drunk half the bucket of water. He is improving steadily.

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Such great news, Roseanna!!

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

So glad he is doing better.

5. Truly

Truly New Member

He sure looks better in that last pic. Glad he's up now. You've done a great job. Congratulations are in order.

Now get some sleep.

6. Re: Update on downed wether

What a wonderful looking guy, I'm so glad to hear he's okay. Tammy

7. DostThouHaveMilk

He has had Dex for four days now. Can I stop him? I dropped him to .35cc for today's shot. My Dex is the 4mg/mL.

Also, he has had 3 days worth of LA200. When do we stop dosing him with that once daily?
    When exactly are all the signs of Listeriosis considered gone?
    He can stand, he can walk (although he wobbles, but he doesn't fall down), he can drink water and he is scarfing down hay.
    He still does not look completely right.

Thanks!

I just can't believe he made it.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Start decreasing his doses of Dex for the next (at least) 3 days...watch him very closely for any regression and bring it back up to .35cc if he shows any. Like any steroid, if you just stop it...the regression is almost as bad as orginal.

I'd give the LA 200 for a course of 5 days.
    Kaye

9. DostThouHaveMilk

Thanks, Kaye.
    I should I decrease the Dex by half each day? Or more slowly than that?

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I wouldn't go 1/2 . Just knock it back a 1/4th of what you're giving.
    Kaye