update on baby that won't drink milk and a bo-se question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, May 23, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

I figured out the issue with my 4 week old Boer doeling that wouldn't drink milk-- her tongue wasn't working properly so she could suck, she started shaking in the rear legs so I figurered it was a selenium issue. ( She had supposedly gotten bo-se at birth) I gave her 1 cc of Bo-se and a vit e capsule. Since then she has started drinking milk from a bowl but hasn't started sucking from a nipple. But I'm pleased that she's drinking some milk and she's interested in the nipple but can't suck it quite yet. She's starting to romp around, but still not up to the speed of her herdmates.
    How much Bo-se can I give her w.o worry of toxicity She's about 17 pounds.

thanks so much!

Susie

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I personally would give her 1/4 to 1/2 cc every day and also the VIT E capsul Also would give her a shot of fortified b complex myself 3 cc

3. susie

susie New Member

Thank you! How many days?

Susie

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A week or more. I have never seen selenium toxcicity, but if you are going to continue giving it you need to be more on the line of Sondra's dosages. Not that I haven't give a kid 1cc, but I certainly wouldn't give that much daily. For sure give the E daily.

I have a few adult does and a buck who are getting bo-se monthly, I will give it weekly to ill goats. Vicki

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

( She had supposedly gotten bo-se at birth)

I also wanted to comment on this. Some kids need more than what they get at birth, some it seems not to work on for a day or two. vicki

6. susie

susie New Member

I only gave the 1 cc one time - with her legs shaking I thought she definitely needed it.She's the youngest and biggest of the 3, not by much but a pound or so, and from what I was reading about White muscle disease it affects fast growing kids at about 3-4 weeks so I was very concerned.

I'll continue at the lower dose and keep up the vit e. I gave her the Vit b also tonight.

Thanks!

Susie