Update and CAE testing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatmom, Mar 28, 2008.

1. goatmom

goatmom New Member

I've been absolutely too busy to think about posting until the past couple days. I'm not whining here but I had no idea how chaotic it would be to kid out 5 does in a 2 week period - of course combined with ice, snow and major flooding - and then suddenly we have 10 hungry kids and we're making bottles right and left and the laundry never gets caught up and I'm functioning on not much sleep and feel like I go to work (at my paying job) just to get some rest!!!! I know you all know the routine - I honestly don't know how you folks with a lot of does even keep your sanity -whew!!!!

Ok -my rant is done -we've lived through it and actually finally got around to sending blood work off to WADDL -got results this morn -all NEGATIVE -yea!!!!!!!!! Don't know why I was sweating it so bad, probably because we did it after kidding.

Ginger

2. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

:lol My daughter was home on Spring Break this week. She made the observation that bottles was all I ever do; warming bottles, feeding bottles, cleaning bottles, milking chores, pasteurizing milk, filling bottles, start all of the above over again...

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Y'all REALLY need to switch to lambars. 10 kids with bottles? That is insanity!

I can't even begin to tell you how much easier it is - both from time feeding and from cleaning standpoints. It is the only thing that kept has me sane this kidding season. Well, that and selling bucks on day 1. That REALLY, REALLY helps. :)

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Boy is that ever the truth. last year I never got nipples early enough and had everyone on bottles WHAT a nightmare cause I could get them to switch over to the lambar nipples.

5. Janelle

Janelle New Member

Glad you got neg results! That is always a good feeling :)

6. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Well actually I'm in the process of switching -didn't start out that way but on everyone's advice here - all of them are now on the caprine nipples and 6 are on the bucket -had the oldest 5 on and I was using jars to monitor intake but moved another one on yesterday and plan on #7 tomorrow -the 3 youngest just can't keep up yet.

I didn't have nearly as much trouble switching them as I thought I would but the oldest ones were only 2 wks and the others I switched after just a few days on the softer nipples. I think when everyone is on it will be great!

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

By next year you will stop all the individual jars also. Monitor their tummies. A big full round belly of milk means they have eaten enough. I do start mine off on mini lambars so the level of the milk is nearly as high as the bottom of the nipples, so little ones don't have to suck as hard. But all but 4 new ones of mine are already on the 3 and 1/2 gallon lambar. Vicki

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

When I first started out (the second time) I was adament about using bottles because that way I knew each kid was getting their portion of the Decoxx-M and I knew how much each kid was eating. When I had 18 pregnant goats a couple of years ago I changed my mind and got a couple of lambars. I just quit obscessing over it and put in the Decoxx-M and everybody has been just fine. I have 5 on a lambar now, 4 Alpine does and 1 boer doe. They are all eating meat goat pellets and alfalfa pellets and hay also. They get about 2 1/2 gallons a day in their bucket.

9. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Mine go on the lambars at a day old as well. As soon as they have their colostrum down actually.

I just had one born last week that I cheerfully could have throttled :bang....stupid thing just flat out refused to open his mouth. He'd butt all over but never would suck!. Grrrr. After THREE dang days of tubing him, letting him get really hungry, trying again, TUBING again -- he is finally on the lambar. For a dang meat wether to boot. He's just lucky he wasn't born during the rush, cause he wouldn't have been long for this world.

The nice thing is that once you have a couple on the lambar, they tend to teach the new ones how to use it.

Tracy