Unmolded soap - smells horrid!

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by jimandpj, Jun 23, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I soaped the Candle Science Blueberry fragrance two days ago. I just unmolded it and it smells terrible! And it is such a pretty soap - blue with a violet swirl. Any chance the scent might improve as it ages? I've never had one come out of the mold smelling horrid before.

PJ

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Sometimes it will get better other times, no.

I had this happen with an amazing coffee FO (OOB). I soaped it and YUCK! It never did come around.
    Good thing it was only a sample so I wasn't out much.

RFS is a FO that can smell funny before it is cured. The one I am using now is lovely OOB, in leave on products and in soap even before a full cure.

Nothing much you can do but wait and see. :)

Sara

3. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thanks, Sara.

But I simply can't figure out what RFS and OOB is. :D

PJ

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Sorry. :blush

RFS - Rice Flower & Shea

OOB - Out of Bottle

Sara

5. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

ok - I was guessing that for OOB, but it makes more sense now that I know what RFS is!

PJ

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Coconuts for me are the worst, they smell like plastic until cured....and yep RFS...playdough! Worse is the ammonia in GM soaps...but cured most do come around. Vicki

7. PJ I have seen a lot of scents, but especially fruit ones, that smell awful and ammonia like. Most improve within a day, sometimes a week for scent to return.
    Becky

8. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thanks everyone! You're making me feel so much better. I unmolded those soaps and wanted to cry. They're my prettiest soaps yet (I finally got the swirl through to the bottom on every single log - but they smell so stinky. And I made 48 of them!!!

Lesson learned - always make a test batch!!! :blush

PJ

9. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Milk soaps especially can smell funny when made or just unmolded, I did a blueberry one once that also smelled funny and ended up smelling like bubblegum,, People loved it.. I hated it.. If it does not come out smelling good, you can grate it up and mix with another fruit scent.. that sometimes works..
    Barbara
    Give it a good month before you decide to get rid of it..

10. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Our blueberry smelled awful at first, but the kinda mellowed a little--- do you think there are just some scents that don't work with goats milk? Or do you think it depends on the vendor you buy it from? Carolyn

11. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

:duh Well of course the scents are going to be different :blush from various places. LOl Carolyn