Unknown goat problem

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jmeares, Aug 18, 2008.

1. jmeares

jmeares Guest

Dairy goat producing half of normal for about 2 weeks. Pretty sure she
    was in heat that caused lower milk production, but she has not come out
    of it. Eating fine, tail up, acts absolutely normal, so that is where
    my confusion comes in. On Friday, I wormed her thinking maybe worms
    (eyes were a Famancha scale 3). After milking this morning, decided to
    take temp, because I dont' know what else to do. Her temp was 105.4.

I have not yet tested for mastitis. How long after milking in the
    morning do I have to wait to test?

This may be nothing, but I am searching for a reason for the lowered
    milk production.

This doe is 5 months into lactation.

Julie
    in Kansas

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

There is no wait time regarding getting a sample of the milk to send in that I know of. Her temp is high tho.

3. ali923

ali923 New Member

I'm not sure if mastitis is what she has, but usually if their body is fighting an infection (i.e. the 105 temp) then usually their milk production goes down cause the excess energy goes to fighting the infection. If it were my goat, I would treat her with penecillan 6cc the first day and 3cc the next 5, giving her probias with it, but that's just what I would do.
    allison

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Get her back up on the milkstand and give her a good once over. Ears to hooves, make sure you aren't overlooking something. If she had mastitis that would cause a 105, she would be extremely ill her milk would not be normal her udder hot and usually painful.

Listen carefully to her breathing also. Any snot?

Allison to keep the bloodlevel of pennicillin up in the body it has to be given very differently than you are perscrribing.

300,000 unit pennicillins are given at 3cc per 50 pounds subq twice a day in ill goats, then once the fever is down you can move to once a day shots...for 24 hours passed the doe being 100%.

If this had been mastitis pennicillin would not be the drug of choice, unless used with another durg and infusions. Naxcel works really well with mastitis, it is one of the few drugs that crosses into the udder to fix things. Always ask the weight of the animal before giving advice, because had this been a full sized goat it would have been so underdosed as to not have helped the goat. Vicki

5. jmeares

jmeares Guest

I checked for mastitis and it is normal, as I expected. This doe weighs 160 lbs (tape measured).

I have given her children's liquid motrin at the bottle dosage, 8cc SQ Pen G (dosed at 1cc/20 lbs) and Probios.

I will check her more througholy the next time I go out in a few hours. She is starting to get very leary of me with all the 5 times I have put her in the stanchion today. I want to give her a break.

The only thing that I noticed without conciously looking her over is that her respirations MAY be a little fast, but this is fairly normal for her in the heat. Although it is only in the upper 80's today with low humidity, she doesn't take heat well.

I will keep an eye on her and post again if I need help.

What is the maximum injection per site? I was told once not to inject more than XX amount per injection site, but I can't remember what it is.

6. ali923

ali923 New Member

Vicki,
    I'm sorry, I thought what I suggested was correct, I was just saying what I would do if it were my goat. Glad to know the correct dosage. It didn't sound like mastitis to me the way she was describing it, I've had goats do what hers is doing and that was how I treated. Are you not supposed to give them antibiotics for 5 days? I always thought you were.
    allison

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It depends on the drug. Oxytetracyclins I give for 6 days or a shot after they are 100%. Pennicillins work on so few things anymore, mostly in conjunction with other meds you are giving that they are given for up to 10 days.

The days of giving aspirin, or pennicillian because they are off, are over. We now know it doesn't work at the dosages we learned to give, and really do more harm than good to the rumen. It also makes all varieties of penn type drugs, due to resistance, not work.

Julie, make sure your Motrin is the right amount also so it gets that fever down, in goatkeeping 101 under the Saanendoah drugs I know she has motrin up for dosages. Vicki

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I only use 3 cc per site myself , don't know if that is correct or not. With sq fluids I know we use a whole lot more.

9. ali923

ali923 New Member

So penniciilian is no good for anything? So what is the best antibiotic to have on hand that has a decent shelf life, and where can I get it? I always got the penecillian thru jeffers.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

my choice is oxytetracyline as and OTC drug and Naxel that is Vet RX

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Just curious, but was this a rectal thermometer or oral?
    10ml.
    Yes, it is still good for open wounds, some treatments-totally off lable- and some skin/hoof treatments. Oxytetracycline is a better internal drug, with Naxcel being the NEW penn. It just covers more bacteria and crosses the lung/udder/uterine better than Penn-G.
    Kaye

12. ali923

ali923 New Member

THanks Kaye. Nice to know.